1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cortana - Will deleting the Cortana file harm my laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Jitraa, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jitraa

Jitraa Thread Starter

First, I'd like to point out that I found and read this thread that, in the last post, tells me how to disable Cortana. https://techguy.org/1185771

But for me, that is not enough. I want her file gone completely. I opened the file location and moved Cortana's file onto my desktop. I've yet to delete it because I don't know what harm could or could not happen.

That being said, let me tell you about my laptop, in case that makes any difference.
    My laptop is a SonicMaster by Asus, E403S Series (the biggest piece of sh*t that I will NEVER buy again. SO MANY PROBLEMS.)

If any more laptop info is needed, let me know. While I'm considered the tech guru of my house, all of this is way beyond my head.

2. storage_man

storage_man

Should be no issue with deleting it. I have mine renamed. But be prepared to do this again and again. Depending upon what is being updated with Microsoft's Cumulative Updates, Cortana will return. Not every update does it, but it will always return.

Jitraa likes this.
  3. Jitraa

Jitraa Thread Starter

That will be no problem. Every time I turn on my laptop I have to go into Task Manager to shut off background crap like Store and Xbox even tho I uninstalled it.. So I'll just keep an eye open, and delete it again when it pops up.
    Thank you!!

-EDIT- Yeah now it's saying I can't delete the file without permission. UGH.

Attached Files:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Starting with the 1607 update, it becomes much more difficult to delete cortana. If you just want to disable it and use replace cortana with a standard search, that is pretty easy. With pro or enterprise version, do the following;
    Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search. Locate the “Allow Cortana” setting in the right pane and double-click it. Set the Allow Cortana option to “Disabled” and then click “OK”. You can now close the group policy editor.
    If you have the home version, you do not have group policy edit so you have to edit the registry.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Note even if you boot with a linux live usb and delete the file, it is going to return at some point via update. While it is possible to delete the file, it is not going to do you any good since the file will return.

6. Jitraa

Jitraa Thread Starter

So say I choose to rename it instead to disable it, updates won't enable it again?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you are going to get the file back. Why do you need to delete the file? As I said, it is possible to delete the file however it is not going to do you any good. Renamed or deleted, you are going to get it back.

8. Jitraa

Jitraa Thread Starter

Honestly, it's an OCD thing. As I stated before, every time I turn my Asus on, I have to go into my Task Manager and manually End programs like Store, Xbox, Microsoft Game Collection... EVERY TIME. And every time I do, I see Cortana and it irks me that I can't uninstall it or End it.
    Mind you, I'm not desperate to get rid of it. If it can't be done easily or will just keep coming back after having to go into my system to fix it, I might as well just leave it.

9. storage_man

storage_man

Renaming it is no different than deleting it. As I stated, it will return.

10. jenae

jenae

Hi, if you delete Cortana you will not be able to use SearchUI.exe effectively making search useless, this hoses your computer and you will have to reinstall windows. So no, do not attempt it. I have two copies of the app one is renamed the other is not, it came with a recent update, Cortana however does not run and does not appear in task manager. These two registry mod's take care of that:- (from an elevated cmd prompt)

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "{2765E0F4-2918-4A46-B9C9-43CDD8FCBA2B}" /t REG_SZ /d "BlockCortana|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|App=C:\windows\systemapps\microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\searchui.exe|Name=Search and Cortana application|AppPkgId=S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742|" /f

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi jenae,

How did you find the AppPkgId ?

12. jenae

jenae

Hi, well a bit complicated (I am a computer scientist, and worked on the first windows registry) we first noticed firewall rules were being created even though restrictions were placed on admins doing this (early days of 10) and involving server systems so we were asked to investigate ( I am retired now however I owned the company (still do ) so eventually the old fellow was called in, bit of work location is as follows:- This is one value data entry expanded in firewall rules under shared access parameters HKLM\services key:-

2.27|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|Profile=Domain|Profile=Private|Profile=Public|[email protected]{Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.8.12.15063_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Microsoft.Windows.Cortana/resources/PackageDisplayName}|[email protected]{Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.8.12.15063_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Microsoft.Windows.Cortana/resources/ProductDescription}|LUOwn=S-1-5-21-1671711460-671655273-2889426470-1001|AppPkgId=S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742|[email protected]{Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.8.12.15063_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy?ms-resource://Microsoft.Windows.Cortana/resources/PackageDisplayName}|Platform=2:6:2|Platform2=GTEQ|Edge=TRUE|

And the reg mod:-
    BlockCortana|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|App=C:\windows\systemapps\microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\searchui.exe|Name=Search and Cortana application|AppPkgId=S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742|

You do have to know what you are doing and even after 40+ years in computers I still learn something every day

Jitraa likes this.
  13. storage_man

storage_man

Yes you will lose the ability to run a search from the task bar, but it doesn't "HOSE" the computer and doesn't require you to re-install windows. It runs just fine. I have "searchUI.old" in my cortana directory (see attachment). I can re-name "SearchUI" back to an .exe and the search functionality is restored.

Now your way with registry patches, will work just fine. Just another way to do it.

Attached Files:

14. Jitraa

Jitraa Thread Starter

Thankies for all the answers ^^
    I am by no means a computer guru like my parents think I am so I'm just going to leave things alone.
    That being said, I don't ever use my SearchUI.exe anyway. I don't even do the voice recognition with Cortana, as I want nothing to do with it.

15. Jitraa

Jitraa Thread Starter

I actually found this site via Google search, saw your answer in another post from like, 2 years ago and followed you. I tried to message you directly, but I couldn't find that option on your profile ^^;;

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice