1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cost for motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Knotbored, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Knotbored

Knotbored Thread Starter

My 1200 Athelon PC bit the dust on the hottest day this summer.
    I assumed a heat problem and replaced the heat-sink and fan on the motherboard-didn't help.
    I replaced the power supply a 350) with new one (a 450) didn't help.
    PC is now at the repair shop-I am assuming the worst and expect a choice of a new PC with my old hard drives moved over or a new motherboard and chipsets.
    What cost range should replacing the motherboard and chips be?

The existing PC has 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 (yea no comments) and a 20 gig HD plus a 120 gig added, a scanner and 2 printers.
    I am hoping to salvage the info from both the hard drives. Maybe ghost the 20 and move the 120 to whatever system I end up with.
    Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. norton850

norton850

If you just need a new MB, then hopefully you will be able to reuse everything from your old system and it shouldn't be too expensive. I would do a Google search to find what MB is needed for your CPU and then look for prices. It will be an older board so you may need to do some looking.

3. brite750

brite750

Do you have any idea what your old mobo was, i'm assuming 200fsb, with pc133 or pc100 ram, what cpu Athlon t-bird socket 7 type or ???

4. Knotbored

Knotbored Thread Starter

this is what a program (Belark adviisor) showed as the motherboard
    Board: 8363-686A
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 11/29/2000

I am satisfied with that chip but wouldnt miind upgrade is iit wasnt cost prohibitive and I could salvage the hard disk information.

5. LukeW

LukeW

you will defo have your hard drives as they were

6. brite750

brite750

I don't know that is pretty old tech, hard to find old 100fsb mobo. I saw a coulple used Asus A7v133 which would work if your cpu is socket 7 type, they were $35 on ebay. If you have money you should probably get new mob/cpu/ram, if your case is good enough for cooling. Then you can use your drives and psu.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/261929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice