cotrol panel error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chrisuhle

Every time I try to load my compter control panel I get this error.

An error occured while working with control panel file

C:/windows/system/main.cpl

is there any way to fix that file or download a replacement one?

Chris Uhle
[email protected]

any help would be appreciated...

Extract a fresh copy from your install disk or the cabs on the hard drive if you have them. I do not know what Operating System you are using. If Win95, DOS extract or Winzip will do it. IF 98 use System File Extractor. In Win Me there's anothe method. Here's a link with instructions for each OS.

Main.cpl belongs in C:\windows\system

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q129/6/05.asp

When I doubleclick C:/windows/system/main.cpl, my mouse properties opens up.

Hmmm, learn something new everyday. :D

You formatted and reinstalled or just overinstalled Windows?

When this happens, can you open Control Panel?

chrisuhle

I deleted main. file now everything works does windows recreate that file if its damaged?

I dont know but it wokrs

What happens is if one of the .cpl files is corrupt, Control Panel may not open. By deleting that file you have removed that part of the problem. However, you need to extract a new copy.

If you look, you'll see you no longer have Keyboard, mouse and the Fonts shortcut in Control Panel.

You never said which Operating system you use.
Go back up to my origianl answer and follow those instructions to extract a fresh copy of main.cpl

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online