1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could 60 degrees C on a Athlon 64 3200 cause a game to crash?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deucefx, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deucefx

deucefx Thread Starter

I just built this system last night, and it seemed very stable. I used it for 4 hours and installed everything I wanted except my soundcard, which I won't even mess with until I'm sure the system is stable.

So I started playing a game and after less than an hour of playing it my system died. So I restarted and checked the bios, suspecting a heating problem.

It said my CPU temp was 60C which I know is pretty high, but I didn't think that was high enough to cause an overheat in a game.

All I have on this computer is windows, the game (World of Warcraft), Mozilla, and my video card and motherboard drivers. So if it's a conflict, it's gotta be my video card and motherboard, so I hope that's not the case.

I'm using the stock heat sink and fan the processor comes with in the AMD box. It says the heatsink and fan is "certified" for this processor, and I'm not overclocking, so why would it be overheating?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

60C is pretty high if that's an idle temp. The stock heatsink that comes with Athlons really isn't very good, it normally works if your not overclocking and you have decent ventilation, but you might want to look into replacing it with a higher quality sink and thermal paste.

I'm not sure if overheating did or didn't cause your crash, there's just too many variables. I would turn off automatic reboot on errors by going into control panel/ system/ advanced tab/ startup and recovery, so that if it happens again you might get a blue screen with some info.

In your bios, there should be controls to throttle your cpu, or shutdown at certain temps.

3. deucefx

deucefx Thread Starter

I think my idle temp is only 50C because all I've been using is Mozilla and I just checked and it was still 50C, which is the temp it was a few minutes after I turned it on 30 minutes ago.

I guess it only shot up to 60C when I was playing the game. I will download my new Detonators and try it again I guess.

4. paul selhi

paul selhi

Warcraft gave me no end of problems, trashing several cd palyers and crashing the pc constantly.. i honestly think the problem is with the game and not your system

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!