1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

could AMD Duron chip have caused inability to capture video?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bj nick, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have a computer with: Motherboard msi kt7 lite with duron 900mhz chip
    256 ram
    all in wonder video w/16mb ram
    yamaha cd-burner
    Toshiba cd rom
    20G Maxtor hd (primary), 60G Quantum Fireball (secondary hd)
    Belkin firewire card

I used to do video editing with MGI videowave when I had my previous computer (amd athlon 700). I had no problems. Then I upgraded to an amd duron 900 and after that, I simply couldnd't use the program; I would always get the message "one or more arguments are invalid" when trying to capture video. I went through weeks of trying every possible solution, talking to tech support at MGI, belkin, checking user forums, everyone. I even tried reinstalling each of the programs several times, and then finally windows 98 itself. Then I took it in to my local experts and they couldn't get it to work either. I have Ulead video studio which will capture video, but not audio.

What I'm wondering is: could it be the duron chip is just for some reason incapable of capturing video or working with video editing software? Is there some known issue with this? Because it is a great frustration and so much so that I"m considering replacing the motherboard and chip completely. I'm willing to do that if that's what it takes, because I need to do video editing and I've been out of commission with this for two months, but I'd like to know if other people have had similar issues with this and might have some insight.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Have you updated MGI making sure you have all your filters, codecs & drivers?

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-3227...896-1204-4915574.rev-rev.3227896-1205-4915574

VideoWave 4.0 renders in AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and DV formats. If you run into difficulties in the process, MGI offers free tech support five days a week during regular business hours via phone, fax, or e-mail, or you can check out the FAQ sheet on MGI's Web site.

Good for simple stuff
    VideoWave's nontimeline-based approach to editing works fine for simple video editing. To find out if it works for you, download the free trial program at the MGI Web site. If you need more control, look to Studio DV instead.

Update the audio & video drivers as well

I don't know anything about this type program..I hope something I put here helps.
    MGI - http://www.mgisoft.com/support/downloads/install.html

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

thanks, SavvyLady, but I've tried all of that in spades...I talked to all the tech support people and they were completely unable to help. I tried both MGI video wave 4 and the SE (lite) program that came with the belkin card. Nothing worked. I tried to approach every angle, software and hardware, and after weeks of trying to work with the software (including MGI tech support or course) I have come to the conclusion that it must be a hardware issue. Belkin is sending me a new firewire card but I don't think that's it; I think something's wacked out with the hardware; there's a conflict of some kind. But thanks for your response...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice