Could anyone suggest another storage method?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

daisy.mary

Hi,
Over the years that i have surfed the net, i have collected various information that are required for me for ever.I also have many downloads that are documentaries which are HUGE. When i originally thought of a back up plan, nothing did strike more than a CD Storage. Now,i see too many CD's around and would not that any more. So, i was wanting to find out if there is another mode of storage on the internet which is reliable and accessible any time? Waiting for a response :)

External Hard Drives are cheap and are very big now so they will hold my CD's ans DVD's.
Like a Seagate FreeAgent™ Desktop 1TB Hard Drive at Costco for $159.99

External Hard Drives are cheap and are very big now so they will hold my CD's ans DVD's.
Like a Seagate FreeAgent™ Desktop 1TB Hard Drive at Costco for $159.99
1TB is HUGE! if im not mistaken that's 1000 gigs... But if that's too many for you you can just get a 500 gig internal if your computer has room.

If your getting a FreeAgent make sure you have 2.0 USB drivers or a eSATA port or firewire

BUT BE CAREFUL the freeagent gets alot of bad reviews (i dont own one)

heres a link for one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3930501&CatId=2429

daisy.mary

Appreciate your efforts.
Oh, yes an external hard drive is a wonderful way to store data however still wondering if there is anything available on the internet like an email system(that can take huge files)that allows storage of data.

how does the concept of virtual storage drive work? Would this help?

Appreciate your efforts.
Oh, yes an external hard drive is a wonderful way to store data however still wondering if there is anything available on the internet like an email system(that can take huge files)that allows storage of data.

how does the concept of virtual storage drive work? Would this help?

OH! yeah

I didn't understand the question sorry

Well yeah there's tons of ways to upload files to the internet

filesanywhere.com gives you 500gb a year

BUT WAIT! its 8250 dollars a year.... for 500 gigs.... guess how much memory you can buy for 8250 dollars?

For 8250 dollars you can BUY 83,420 gigs of external memory...

The online storage sites are just rip-offs they ALL charge membership and i don't mean to pick on filesanywhere.com because about all of them are like that

The lowest is 5 gigs for 8.95 a month

They do have free trials though... but still, your best bet is to buy some (in my opinion)

Don't know anything about the FreeAgent but was pointing out the size of the drive you can get for a low price and there are many others to pick from.

I would not upload anything to web sites to keep. Bet there are good places that will keep your data safe but they cost. Even then your want one that you know also backs up everything in case they have a drive go out because you don't want to lose everything.
Getting a External Hard Drive is the cheaper way to go. Plus you can take all the CD and put them on the drive and group everything together to make it more easy to find them.

Why do you want to upload your data or images? If it is so you can share you images them something like this.

HP EX475
1TB MediaSmart Server
with eSATA and USB...
$629.99

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11273362&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
Watch the Demo too.
http://content.webcollage.net/costco/product-content-page?prodid=11273362
Or
http://www.live.hpeasset.webcollage...=&MarkupType=document&PresentationFormat=html

But your still want to back up the server to be safe because any place you have data something can happen.

I could be wrong but i thought there was a program, i think it was a FireFox add-on that let you use Gmail for storage. I read somewhere here, that you only had problems if you tried to upload gigantic amounts all at once. try www. Mozilla add-ons. ,search G space?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How "huge" is "huge"? Exactly how much storage are you looking for? Remember, if you happen to have 100 gigs of data, and you have the typical ISP service with a 768kbit uplink speed, it'll take a while to upload 100gigabytes of data. Assuming 100% efficiency (which is not likely), it would take more than 12 days.

Plus you trusting some other site to host all that data John. That may be OK but you should still have your own backup so your still need to get a backup drive.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I agree 100%, I use Mozy off-site backup, but I have several layers of backup here.

Yea you need the backup and more then one. My sister has a big backup drive filled with things but yesterday said she can not get to the drive. So unless she can somehow get to get to recover things all will be losted.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, a "backup" that doesn't have a second copy is not really a backup, right? ;)

Remember: Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.

back up wouldnt make since for the original question

if they had room to back it up, they wouldnt be asking the question
lol

they are asking for a free site with unlimited space... hard to come by

Well, a "backup" that doesn't have a second copy is not really a backup, right? ;)

Remember: Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.
Right
Was meaning a External Hard Drives but still that does mean it is a backup.
Sister called me wanting to know what types of drives I have in my new Dell because she too the drive out of or External Hard Drive but it's not SATA like inside or computer so wanted to see if she could hook it up to my Dell. But mine is just like hers with the SATA drives only. I think you can buy a SATA adapter.
Would this be what she needs?
Ziotek IDE to Serial ATA Converter with Cables - Retail
Got the store right down the street. Small store but it has the warehouse out back they ship everything from so they should have anything you see at there web site.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online