1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could cheap HDMI cable cause pixelation on Panasonic TC-L37C22 720p LCD HDTV?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bonovox, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonovox

bonovox Thread Starter

I just purchased this TV and used a very cheap 6 foot HDMI cable to connect it to my satellite receiver.

The picture looks fantastic when objects are shown up close. But small or far away objects appear pixelated. It's just not the resolution I've come to expect from an HDTV.

I've set the satellite output to 720p but curiously and perhaps unrelated, the picture only works with 4:3 aspect ratio and the 16:9 appears stretched. I've tried all the different formats and the 4:3 is the one that produces the best picture.

Is there an issue with the HDMI cable, or is the problem somewhere else?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It may not be the cable. Unless you got it at a dollar store for $1.00, an inexpensive 6 foot HDMI cable should be able to handle 720P OK.

Are you watching an actual HD channel when checking the picture quality? If not, the receiver is upconverting the 480 lines of standard definition TV to 720 lines and that can cause some pixelization.

The pixelization may also be due to over compression of the video by the satellite operator. The cable and satellite companies are all falling over each other claiming they have more HD channels than the competition and are adding channels to back up their claims. Given a limited and finite amount of satellite bandwidth, they need to increase the compression to fit more channels. Some channels may get compressed more than others. The additional compression may have some intelligence and apply higher compression to parts of the scene that it deems to be of less importance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!