1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could it be my CPU chip?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by triandrew2001, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. triandrew2001

triandrew2001 Thread Starter

You guys have always come thru in the past, and I really need you now.

I built my WinXP machine originally in 2002. It's been pretty much running 24/7 since, running a web radio station. I shut it down last week as we moved across country. Upon arriving I set up the machine. Plugging it in I get a green light on the mother board and my CPU fan spins momentarily. But when I try powering it up I get no response. No power light on the front, no activity from hard drives, no error beeps, nothing. I even tried two backup power supplies with the same results. I checked all the wires to the power switch and power lights, all are connected and fine. A friend of mine suggested my CPU chip could have died. It's an older Intel Celeron chip from 2002. Any thoughts?

2. SAMF2000

SAMF2000

make sure the back of the PSU switch is turned on. other than the front power button there is an actual on/off switch on Power supply.
    this might have been switched off during your move.

3. triandrew2001

That's not the issue. That was the first thing I checked. I even tried w/ 2 other power supplies I had on hand. Other ideas?

4. bigbear

bigbear

Check to see if the heatsink has worked loose.
    Also check all cables, remove and reseat ram, gpu any any other cards

5. triandrew2001

All checked and checked. I'm really just stumped. COULD this possibly be a CPU failure? When I apply power cord to the machine, I get a green powerlight on the motherboard, the CPU fans spin momentarily and then stop. They've always done this. But when I attempt to hit the power button, I get ZERO response. NO beep errors, now sound of ANYTHING moving or starting up, ZERO.

The CPU chip is from 2002.... COULD it have been damaged in the move? COULD it have just finally died? With the CPU being the brain of it all, would a PC give any error beep is that chip was failing?
    I can get another one (CPU chip) fairly cheap, but would have to be shipped to me, and don't want to spend money on that if the chances of it being that the CPU chip has died are slim.

What do you think?

6. SAMF2000

SAMF2000

Yeah bigbear has a point the only other thing could be overheating of the CPU. But the System shuts off before frying the CPU most of the time.

7. triandrew2001

And I completely understand that. But the issue is that this machine hasn't been on for over a week while we moved across country. While the machine has been in operation for 7+ years, it's never shown issues of overheating in the past. I just shut it down a bit over a week ago for the move, and this problem only started as soon as I tried setting it up in my new home. Absolutely no way it could be overheating. This is why I'm stumped. Could a CPU fail from a possible rough ride across country, and if so, would my current issues be stemming from this?

8. triandrew2001

So I've found that I can get another CPU like the one I have now for under $20 bucks. Do you think I should get it and try?

9. triandrew2001

I opted to just get a new box.... actually one was given to me.

10. Compiler

Compiler

Good... was going to recommend that. An old 2002 computer's value is so little and you'd be spending a lot of time trying to troubleshoot a damaged computer. I doubt the CPU died during transport. But the mobo could have been damaged by the vibration... as you said, its been running 24/7 for years. Then to suddenly go cold and not just that - extra cold because of the weather. The motherboard's shape has changed and so tiny cracks have most likely formed.

Even pulling out a mobo thats a few years old - I can see where the board had curved over time.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice