1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could it be true??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sunnyeagle, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunnyeagle

sunnyeagle Thread Starter

I was reading somewhere that you could have a disk with all the updates for XP or vista and when you had to do a reinstall put the disk in..... and you have all the updates. So you did not have to wait for all the updates to get downloaded.

Is this true???

I not talking about slipstreaming. Someone might only have XP with SP1, another with SP2 or someone might have Vista without SP1. It would be a lot quicker to slip in a disk with all the updates. Is there something out there to do that?

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Yes. MS update.
    Download & save, burn to disc.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

4. sunnyeagle

Yes I know of all the other "ways'. But is there not a way to have them all "ready to go" when I am working on someone's computer and have to do a reinstall? It would be nice to have them ready in case I am working on one that I did not have a chance to make an image.

The longest time it takes to get one done, is doing all the updates.

5. sunnyeagle

bump for info

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

This handy little app will list all of the Updates for a particular OS/SP combo. Supports Win2000, XP, Win2003, Vista, Office2003 and Exchange 2003
    Windows Updates Downloader
    Download the program and the appropriate list, then you can download the install package for each update and burn to CD or copy to a flash drive.
    Install XP and the Service Pack, then just run each installation package.

Or you could slipstream the updates into a new install CD, so you would have XP SP1 with all Post SP1 updates, XP SP2 with all Post SP2 updates, etc. You'd need a Retail copy of each and an OEM copy of each to cover most systems and work with their keys. Then you wouldn't have to install the updates, they would already be included.
    I know you can't slipstream SP2 and all post SP2 updates and fit it on a 700 MB CD. Might fit on an 800 MB CD, but not all readers would be compatible

You could write a batch file to automatically install the updates, but you would need to do a little research to install in the correct order, as some updates may depend on previous updates being already installed, so you would install the first group, reboot, then install the next group, reboot, etc.

You could code it to add itself to the Startup folder, so it will run automatically after rebooting and then continue with the next group.

Probably be easiest to do a clean install of XP with the SP you want, then let Windows update offer it's list. Note which ones it offers. This would be the first group. Install, reboot, then get the next group. Easier than trying to read all of the KB articles on each update to determine the order of installation.

HTH

Jerry

7. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

@theOutcaste,
    Is WUD Freeware or Shareware?
    I visited the link you posted but couldn't tell because my 66 year old eyes aren't as good as they once were.

best regards,
    Jim :)

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Freeware, nothing I've seen in the program or on the Website indicates it's a trial/shareware, though there is a donate button on the website.

9. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

Thanks tOc

10. sunnyeagle

Thanks TheOutcaste for your info..... Has anyone check out this site also and have anyone have used either one? http://www.wsusoffline.net/

It sure will be nice to prepared to cut down the time to reinstall. To have to download updates over and over is such a waste of time. I would like to install the OS and then throw in the update disk and be done with it. And to be able to update a computer that has not been updated for awhile. If you ever had to sit through a dial up updates (not your own, but someone you are working on) it is no fun.

I know for years that you could slipstream the updates into your own OS, but that does not help when you working on someone else computer. There many computers out there that doesn't even have OS disk, just a rescue disk. Some don't even have that and you have to reinstall off a different partition.

That why it would be nice to have a disk to just slip in afterwords, have all the updates take off and finish it all up.

11. sunnyeagle

Looking for others that have used update cds

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I have.
    I got SP2 for my Mother, who has no internet, and also got same for a friend who lives up north with a very slow Dial-up connection. As well as all updates since the SP2 release for him.
    This was done using an already updated machine.

You don't like the MS update site?
    Use administrator options on the left at MS update site and get whatever updates you want, for any OS you want. Burn to a CD/DVD.

You want a third party site to get the originals?

I prefer to go to the source.

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I've used WUD to download updates, never used the WSUSOffline application. Thanks for finding that. Looks a lot more user friendly.

WUD just provides a list of updates and the links to download them from Microsoft, then downloads all of them for you so you don't have to search for them.

I haven't gone though all the code included with WSUSOffline (it uses batch, WSH, and Autoit) but it uses the Windows Update Catalog to find the latest updates, downloads them, gets the latest version of the Update Agent, then uses the various scripts to run the Windows Update agent to actually install the updates, basically the same way Windows Updates does.

All the updates come from Microsoft, so no 3rd party site is involved.
    WSUSOffline includes support for Office 2000, 2002 (XP) and 2007 which WUD doesn't

I did find a problem with creating the ISO file. When first run and you have the make ISO file option checked, the program downloads a CDRTools zip archive. It also downloads info-zip to use to extract mkisofs.exe from the zip archive. The download link for info zip will redirect the program to a random mirror to download info zip, and it seems several of the mirrors no longer have the file.
    You can either download the CDRTools archive from this direct link:
    http://smithii.com/files/cdrtools-2.01-bootcd.ru-w32.zip
    and extract mkisofs.exe and place it in the wsusoffline\bin folder, or edit the link used to download info zip.
    The link is in this file:
    wsusoffline\static\StaticDownloadLinks-mkisofs.txt
    Delete this line:
    http://www.ctan.org/get/tools/zip/info-zip/WIN32/unz552xN.exe
    and replace it with this line:
    ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/win32/unz552xn.exe

Note that this line is case sensitive.
    You can also just use the Copy to USB option then create your own ISO from that folder. You don't want the CD to be bootable.
    The resulting ISO sizes (Approx):
    Code:
      466,934 KiB - Updates only
      703,988 KiB - Add .NET 3.5 SP1. (237,054 KiB)
      790,964 KiB - Including SP3. (324,030 KiB)
    1,028,022 KiB - Including SP3 and .NET 3.5 SP1
    Some CD drives won't read a disk over 700 MB (683,594 KiB) or burn them either) so you may want to put the SP3 and .NET 3.5 SP1 on a separate CD and install them manually.

This will not run on a system with no Service Pack, and is only designed to install SP3, though it could be modified easy enough to install SP1 or SP2 first if needed, though you'd need a DVD to have it all on one disk. A 2 GB Flash drive would hold it all, with plenty of room for a few applications like Firefox, Opera, Thunderbird, several IM clients, etc.
    SP1a is 128,097 KiB
    SP2 is 272,391 KiB

I don't have an AMD system so I can't test for the SP3 bug to see if this installs the patch if needed before installing SP3.

Ran the ISO on a system that had SP2 with no updates.
    It installed the updated Windows Installer, installed SP3, rebooted, installed a little over 45 updates including IE7 then rebooted again and was done.
    I did not include .NET 3.5 SP1.

I went to Windows Update, it installed it's two updates (WGA and Package Installer), and shows 8 High Priority updates:
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
    IE 8
    Update for XP KB968389
    Windows Genuine Advantage Notification KB905474
    Update for XP KB967715
    Security Update for IE7 KB938127
    Update for XP KB952287
    Update for XP KB951978

None really critical, so it did a pretty good job.

14. sunnyeagle

I have a laptop that I will do a test on to see how it works. Should be interesting. I would like to have everything set up to be able to do any computer with any updates. SP1, sp2, sp3 for either operating system (XP or Vista). It sure would be nice to be able to have it on hand to just get it done.

Let me know if anyone has had a chance to use WSUSOffline.....

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/862146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice