1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could my PC be dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LJborn, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Problem with HP computer running Windows XP SP3 with 2.9 gHz intel pentium processor; 200gBhard drive with 53gB free; 3192mB usable memory in 4 sticks; started hanging on "Windows is shutting down" screen. Have tried everything recommended on malware forum, including unchecking everything in startup and everything (except microsoft stuff) in services tab of msconfig. Uninstalled some programs, including Advanced System Optimizer3 that somebody said might be a problem. Right before shutdown, if I go into Task Manager, nothing is running, so that doesn't tell me what is hanging up. I uninstalled my old antivirus program and installed AntiVir because somebody said it was better, but even running Kaspersky online scanner I can't find any viruses, and I use Malwarebytes, CCleaner and spybot superantispyware pretty religiously, so now I'm wondering if this shutdown problem is my PC trying to tell me its useful life is over???

That's why I am posting here, since this is the hardware forum.

Do y'all think I have a hardware problem?

The PC starts up in a flash now, but just won't shut down by itself....

Thanks for your help. Fortunately I had done a complete backup of my documents to my simpletech mini external hard drive the day before the problems started, so assuming that drive doesn't die, I at least haven't lost anything, although I'm afraid to do any work on the PC until I figure out where I am.

I will await your expert opinion.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello does it shut down from safe mode properly ?

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Okay. I'm not really at all a techie, or someone at all comfortable in handling the registry. I am going to answer as many questions as I can. I just read through all three of those links, to see if there was anything I hadn't done that I might be comfortable doing, and the answer was no. Here is some more information.

Hangs at 'windows is shutting down' in SafeMode as well.
    There is no APM option under power options, so can't enable power management.....
    When I open Device Manager, there are no symbols by any of the devices to indicate anything is wrong
    No programs have been manually removed before the problem started. I have used add/remove programs to remove a couple of things since then, attempting to simplify the PC.
    I don't know how to check whether I have the latest version of BIOS. I just reran Belarc advisor, and it didn't give me any errors, other than a microsoft hotfix that wanted me to upgrade IE which I don't use.
    Ran chkdsk without errors.

I have not used System Restore or Lst Known Good Configuration. sounded like that was more for startup problems or shutdown problems before getting to the 'windows is shutting down screen'.

Is this 'just' a powering down problem? Should I not be nervous that I have to manually shut down the computer?

I await further instructions. I'm figuring just because I am stumped does not in any way indicate this is not a solvable problem!!!

5. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Try the MS 'user profile hive' clean up utility
    LINK

6. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Yep. Sorry I hadn't listed it, but I already did that one as well.

7. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Okay. I've uninstalled all kinds of programs and have almost nothing loading at startup and nothing appears to be running at shutdown, it just hangs on 'windows is shutting down' until I push the power button. Also did all sorts of other things y'all suggested, that theoretically could have solved the problem. Problem when in safe modeand if I run 'shutdown -s -f'..... Virus scans of various kinds all show absolutely nothing, as do malware scans.

The PC is 5 years old, although I put in 4 1gB RAM sticks September 2009 to speed it up.

fan runs REALLY LOUD usually once a day - this has been going on for months.

should I try going back to a system restore point from before the hanging shutdown started????

I really don't like having to use the power button to turn this thing off. conceptually seems wrong....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!