could problem be incorrect config of windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marianne

I've done a little searching of other posts but can't seem to find anything related to the problem I'm having.

The main one right now is when I try to open a graphics file using the

They've been saving in a file not related to my graphics program so when I double click, up comes "open with" and I have to click on the program each and every time. I've tried ctrl + right click and shift + right click, but get the same stupid box.

The right click plus clicking the always use this program.... procedure has worked in the past, but not now. Tried rebooting, but no good. The puzzle is sometimes saving a graphics file puts it into the correct program and sometimes it doesn't.

I've had other problems like not having the correct file path when opening ms office programs.

Could the tech who installed hard drive and windows have done an incorrect configuration cause it's been acting strange since. I have Norton AntiVirus with regular auto updates. It never sees any viruses. I'm running 1st version of Windows 98.

Thanks, Marianne

Are these graphics files you are downloading from the web? What file types are they, and how do they get saved?

For example, if you download a jpeg, does it get saved as something else?

Have you cleaned out your Temporary Internet cache? This can affect the ability to save graphics.

Remember the procedure for associating a file type is this:

First select (highlight) the file type, then shift+right click on it. Then select "open with" from the dialog window, and the program you want to use from the scroll window. Then check "always use..."

IExplore is default for jpegs and gifs, MSPaint is the default for bmps.

Irfanview is a good choice for many graphics types:

http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

marianne

Hi,

The files are both. Now that I think of it, I was saving graphics from a web site. What I eventually did was to bring up the files using open with and saved them from my photo editing program but doing 20 or so individually was tedious.

Doing the steps - highlighting + shft and right click did not bring up the option "open with". I've been able to do that (sometimes) in the past. It seems things change on their own. I've cleaned out my temp Internet cach too.

This morning I did a little work with the graphics and things are working okay. I tried saving a graphics from a site and it saved it properly. I don't understand. I tried right click plus shift and it worked properly.

Marianne

Del

When you turn on your computer, do you get a Network login or windows login screen before you get to your desktop?
I've seen where people get this and hit cancel or escape then the operating system doesn't build a password file nor save any changes you make, as it doesn't know who you are.
Del

About all I can say is try to look for patterns when it occurs. Perhaps something else causing a conflict. Sometimes a reboot clears up funky behavior. Anyway, glad it seems ok for now.

If you haven't done an updated antivirus scan, that's always a possibility.

marianne

Norton is set up for regular, scheduled update of antivirus scan. I does it once a week. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks,
Marianne

Similar to what Rollin' Rog said, keep track. If it happens again, post back the exact name of the file causing you a prob. I wonder if the files are sometimes getting saved with no extension which would explain why you can't choose the option to "Always use..."

marianne

Hi,

Interesting about being saved without an extension. Just now I opened a folder and one of the files displayed a windows picture instead of a symbol for the graphics program I use to open and edit. Is that what you mean. I was not able to get the "open with" by right clicking + shift.

While on the subject, how do I configure my files in the c drive so I open only one window instead of layers upon layers. Sorry, I don't have tech jargon. Before the new hard drive was installed, I could click on a folder which would open in the same window and if I wanted to go back to open another folder, I would simply hit the up or back icon in the task bar. Now I get a whole mess of open windows!!!

Thank,
Marianne

Never mind about opening folders. I figured it out myself by going to Folder options, settings and then checking open each folder in the same window.

Marianne

marianne

Hi,

Just had a problem when I was using my photo editing program. I was bringing up pictures to view when one didn't generate and the photo program icons looked strange. After closing and then clicking on another photo a message appeared saying "Failed to create empty". No matter how many times I closed and opened folders and click on photos I got the same message. Gave up and closed but when I looked at my Eudora bar which I had minimized, instead of the in basket, it showed a windows window. It went away when I maximized Eudora and after minimizing it showed the normal in box.

I rebooted computer and things worked fine. Is there some corruption?

Marianne

Could be a clue as to why you are having problems. Your temporary directories may be too full. Try doing a "disk cleanup". flush both your Temporary Internet and Windows\temp directories.

I can give you directions for doing it in DOS, but try doing it from Windows to see if that helps clear things up.

Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.

marianne

Thanks, did it. Now we'll see how things work. Another strange thing I'm worried about is the hard drive. It's less than a month old, is a Maxstor and has a low hum sometimes when it's working. Anything to worry about.

Marianne

Mine is a lot noisier than a low hum when it's actually working. You may be hearing the fan or just the normal faint hum of the drive spinning. I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online