1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could someome recommend me a Distribution?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ekul08, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ekul08

ekul08 Thread Starter

A few years ago I had a 98/Red Hat system running but for some reason (can't remember now) stopped using it.. but now I am desperate to start using linux again.

I am hoping to get an XP Pro/Linux install going now and was after some direction in which distribution I should use.

I heared Red Hat has some security flaws, so i'm not really all that interested in it, though I found it easy to install. I am looking for one that is still easy to install and use but has a good ammount of features.

I was thinking about Mandrake but not sure about its compatability for a dual boot with Windows XP? Also thinking about Fedora but I think it may be a little complicated for me (and heared it dosent go well with XP). What about SUSE?

So if you could reocmmend me something or even a site that can explain it all (im so confused!) that'd be awesome.. The main things I plan to use it for are IRC Chat and Web Browsing but if a distribution can do more, hell im open :D

Cheers

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well Fedora is made by Red hat so I guess you cant use that because of security reasons.!

Your machine is only as secure as you make it, whether it is Windows or Linux. I have been running a Red Hat 9 server for over two years now and have not had a single person penetrate my server. My buddy installed Mandrake 10 twice and will now be moving to another distribution because it got hacked twice within a couple of days. But he may not be doing the same configuration as i do. I have a 30+ page document that I go thru before any of my machines touch the internet.

I am not sure why you would think Fedora is complicated.

I have used both Mandrake and Red Hat and I liked both but I like Red Hat because it seems to run better as a server for me. But, I plan on moving to Suse shortly because I am a Novell guy and I have to start learning how to use Netware Services on Linux.

3. ekul08

ekul08 Thread Starter

See I can understand what you mean about making it secure, but im just affraid that im not an advanced enough user to be able to do that. Thanks though, I will definately keep it in mind..

I just read that Fedora was a rather advanced users version and that it had some compatability problems when trying to create dual boot XP/Fedora systems..

4. raeba

raeba

Luke (ekul08),

I heard that Red Hat Enterprise is a good way to go.

Raeba

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Mandrake 10.1. Download it. It may have a bit more than you want, but it's pretty bug-free.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/

Knoppix is pretty cool, too. You can use it from the CD (bootable, LiveCD) or install it to your drive, but you can try it out without installing anything:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

If you like Knoppix, you may want to look into Debian, from which Knoppix is derived:

http://www.debian.org/

Mandrake also has a LiveCD that is downloadable so you can boot it and try it out. It's among the downloads and is called "Mandrake Move".

6. deuce868

deuce868

I just installed ubuntu on a desktop for the first time. It's actually a great little distro for a desktop with a ton of great documentation on their site. Their how-to's are pretty thorough. It's also great that they simplify things. They only have one PDF reader installed by default and such. Makes it easier for new linux people to find applications to do things.

I would suggest trying that out for a bit.

Other ones to try:
    Mepis: I use mepis on my laptop and it works pretty well. KDE centric, but you can get GNOME working on it.
    Debian: I only let debian touch my servers and have loved having it for about 3 years now.

7. Headrush

Headrush

No matter which distribution you choose, they should all be able to work perfectly fine in a dual boot environment.

If you are looking for a complete end-user based Linux, I would suggest Xandros 3.0 Deluxe. It costs a little, but will offer a solution and environment very similar for Windows users. Provides wizards for common tasks just like Windows.

Suse is also good and hides much of the details that many people perceive necessary to run Linux. Mandrake is similar to Suse, but tends to have newer releases and easier to install those gray area software such as decrypted DVD support.

Distros, such as Slackware, Gentoo are more suitable for those people that like to get their fingers into the system :)

You can always try as many as you like. The nice things is Linux installs fairly quickly on a modern machine and doesn't require multiple reboots like some other popular OS. If you don't like one, just install the next one over it until you find one you like.

1 thing to remember, is many people confuse a desktop environment with a Linux distribution. Most distros use either Gnome or KDE desktops and the interface can be changed very easily. Just because they look different, doesn't mean there are any different. I simple change of some icons, wallpapers, etc and they probably look the same. I would concern yourself with things like, how easy you can find apps you need, how you change setting, update the system. These are the things that will separate the distros the most.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice