1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could someone Help Me?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chinawht, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chinawht

chinawht Thread Starter

Hi to all, This is my first post and I am very new to all this. I hope I am doing it properly. I ran "Adaware" and "Spybot" with no problems and then "Hijack This". I use Norten AV and Internet Security with all updates current. All updates are current on my computer, I use WindowsXP. I am having problems with the desktop icons just all of a sudden disappearing. Windows are freezing up,closing, and back to the desktop with no icons. Could someone look at" Hijack This" and see if there is something wrong? Thank you, ChinaWht:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG chinawht

Can you shed some light on what this Internet Explorer plugin is supposed to do?

O12 - Plugin for .UVR: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPUPano.dll

I really don't see any software issues in the Scanlog to account for that behavior. I would suspect a possible hardware problem, perhaps overheating.

However, a couple of things I would do to test whether it is software or hardware...

Take a look at the Administrative Tools > Events logs. Look under both applications and System and see if there are any errors listed there that might provide further data.

Second, try "clean booting" the system two different ways. One is to run msconfig and uncheck the "load startup items" box and reboot without all your standard startups running. See if the problem persists there. If it doesn't, then one of those startups under the startup tab is responsible.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310353

Second, you can try creating a new User Account through the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel. Boot up and login under that. This also has the effect of clean booting, since none of the other startups under your old profile will be loading. In addition you will be using entirely different Internet caches and temp files.

3. chinawht

chinawht Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply! I have no idea what the IE plugin is or what it is supposed to do? I do know one thing though, my Internet Explorer has been constantly crashing and closing out what ever I am working on. I just reinstalled "XP" on my system in late July(the third time) Did not have a problem with Internet Explorer before July. I will try what you said and get back with results. Again, thank you so much for your help! Later, ~ChinaWht~:confused:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you don't know what that item is, remove it with HijackThis: just check it, close your browser windows, and click "fix checked"

You will need to reboot afterwards. I would also remove NPUPano.dll from the location where it is listed.

5. chinawht

chinawht Thread Starter

Thanks Rog, I will try that as well. at present I feel like my whole machine is coming apart. I'll get back in a little while and let ya know what's up....sorry I did'nt get right back. That was my last job of the day before I crashed. Just got up for the evening...I do night shift ;-D and love it! Back at ya in a bit. Have a good one! ~ChinaWht~

6. BabyG

BabyG

Welcome ChinaWht :)

I recently had a problem with my icons disappearing, getting way large, the icon pics being just a blank blue & white square (like when a shortcut becomes "not valid"), but they still worked as the correct shortcut. This went on for about 3 days. I did as you are doing, couldn't for the life of me figure out what the heck was wrong. So as a last ditch effort, before I went completely bald, I tried the System Restore back to a couple weeks. That fixed my problem, and haven't had it happen since.

So, if all else fails, you might give that a try. :)

Good Luck!
    BabyG

7. chinawht

chinawht Thread Starter

Thanks BabyG, I swear that is just where my mind is going right now !!! I seem to have gone everywhere and done everything else in the last week or two. Personally, I think I had a lemon of a DELL from the get go! It is 1yr and 3 months old with 3 reinstalls ( but who's counting ). I also have had the lovely little blue and white boxes, they come and they go. Before my third reinstall I did do a system restore back a full month(under advice of a Dell person). It worked great for about 4 to 6 weeks and then... same 'ol, same'ol. Well, I will be off to the outer rim of my sanity now. While I have a few strands of hair remaining! :rolleyes: Take care and thanks for the info. Have a good one! ChinaWht

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice