1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could someone please identify this old PC and help me find it's specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Serge_N_Gin, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin Thread Starter

Hi,

I want to help some older people out with getting computer savvy with an aim to teach them how to browse the internet and send email and other basic stuff.

I've uploaded some photos and hope that someone here can decipher the info and tell me exactly what type/spec of PC I have bought them .... (it only cost $10).

It came with good software and Win 98 and has 16mb RAM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. croesonen

croesonen

if you have a PCI sloot you can use you can put in a dialup modem it will be slow but it will work? broad band is out no USBs win 98 is a good system . Croesonen

3. Serge_N_Gin

Here is a pic showing the rear view ... I don't know if there's a PCI slot?

[​IMG]

4. MathBluster

MathBluster

I'd bet that that old thing only has ISA slots, which means that if you want a modem or anything else you'll have to hunt up some old hardware. You can see if I'm right by opening it up and looking at what the sound card etc are plugged in to.

http://www.bsicomputer.com/backplane/images/12-slot/bpPCI-12S.jpg

That's a picture. The black ones are ISA slots, the white ones PCI.

5. Serge_N_Gin

Here are the inside shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've since found that it has a 1.25gb hard drive. Are those ram modules? There are 4 but that's too many modules for the 16mb RAM installed.

And there's reference to something called Cirrus or Cyrrix which I think is the mobo?

6. croesonen

croesonen

a PCI slot is white and its on the inside of the case if you look at the back of your computer you will see two blank sloots you will have to take off the case and use one of the blank slots for the modem. if they line up with the slots inside. croesonen.

7. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Serge_N_Gin...

What you have there is an old 486 DX 100 with what it looks like 4 ISA and 3 PCI slots (the PCI are probably 16 or maybe 32 bit slots, couldn't find any info on the BIOS info from the pic it is umc-881 e/886b-284x5b08c-00, maybe I saw it wrong) the ISA are the black slots while the PCI are the white (like was stated before)...

The ram modules are from what it looks like are Sim modules (hard to find anymore)...

In the post of the back, the top (circle) is an AT type keyboard connector (if you don't have one you can buy a PS2 to AT adapter and use a PS2 keyboard), the second card is a serial card (which if you have a serial mouse it can be used there in the small connector)...

The third you are correct it is a video card for the monitor...

The fourth is indeed the sound card, the other connector on it is a midi/game port...

As far as accessing the internet, as was stated you can get a Modem (but you will have to find a used one as the newer ones are for more recent systems, or maybe if you are lucky you can get a network card that will work and use DSL or Cable), but...like was stated earlier it will be slow (and I mean extreamly slooooowwww)...

You can go here, and download and install Everest and see more specs (if it will even work on that old of a system)...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Good luck, and I hope the info I've given helps...

9. brite750

brite750

well I'll tell ya it doesnt look like that thing is even worth messing with, if its a 486 with 16mb of ram you are not going to run win98 on it very well if at all. You can buy a Pent III for around $50 that would actually work, I wouldnt waste my time. BTW cyrix is the CPU brand, not intel and not AMD.

10. mrss

mrss Guest

I used to go online with dial up when a DX100 was considered fast. Ha ha.

I'd say no to a modem card, as most every PCI card selling these days uses the PC processor and your friends don't have a lot of that to spare. Pick up an external modem that would connect to the serial port. I also recall having these TX/100 LAN cards that cost about 5 bucks that would run on win95.

If all they need is email, and browsing, and some word processing, maybe a Linux OS?

11. Serge_N_Gin

Thankyou all for the very informative and helpful replies. I know know a whole lot more about this PC. ;)

It has Win 98 installed and runs it fine.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice