1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could this damage my iPod?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XboxGuy15, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XboxGuy15

XboxGuy15 Thread Starter

Hmmm, I just found a new hardware trick with my iPod, but the thought just occurred to me that I could be damaging it.

I have an old Pentium 4 PC with my iTunes, so it takes iTunes awhile to unmount/eject my iPod when its plugged it. I found, if I have the USB cord that connects to my iPod in about half way, its enough for the power to reach, so I can recharge my iPod without having Windows or iTunes recongize my iPod.

This is handy when I don't want to add or remove songs, but just need to recharge it, but, can I harm it or its battery if I do this?

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Yes, possibly. I mean, it's meant to be plugged in all the way, right, and even though it's only 5v, who knows what might happen if it shorts or similar cause it's only in a little bit?

If you want to be safe, but not have the hassle of trying to disable auto-recognition, then buy yourself a powered USB hub like THIS for $12.00 + shipping, and then just don't plug it in to computer...it'll charge the ipod from the power adapter.

Scorp.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The standard connectors on a USB plug are slightly longer on the 5V power than the data.

It's only a tiny amount of differenece, designed to ensure power is applied before data is connected.

You are using that "feature" to apply power with no data.

Any problems would only *possibly* come about if an intermittent data connection occurred, and as you only have about 1mm of difference it is a fine judgement on plug insertion to avoid that.

You would be better off to sacrifice an old USB extension cable and disconnect the data leads, making it a power only cable if you are worried.

4. XboxGuy15

XboxGuy15 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll consider what you said.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice