1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Could this problem qualify for paid tech support?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bleufrog, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bleufrog

bleufrog Thread Starter

Hi,
    re: Can't boot after installing Norton System Works 2006
    I installed Norton System Works 2006 into the Compaq PC referenced below. That was the kiss of death. I tried to uninstall everything except the anti-virus program. I received a prompt to uninstall Go Back which I did.

After that, I tried to restart the computer to no avail. It just won't boot up. I've tried starting in Safe Mode, etc but it only goes as far. I can see the Microsoft logo and 2000 Professional - built for NT on the screen with a troubleshooting prompt to hit the F8 key which I have tried over & over again, making changes, then going back to set defaults. That's it. Just going around & around fruit looping.

How can I remove Win2K2 Pro & install XP Pro in its place? Can this be done without getting the PC to boot up? I've downloaded (from another computer) BOOT & NUKE to wipe the HD clean, burnt it on a CD because file is too big to put on a floppy. However, the computer doesn't boot so I can't to run it. I've also downloaded various start up Boot disks which I put on both CDs & floppy disks but again, I can't get the computer to respond.

Specs: Compaq I PAQ Desktop
    Processor: Pentium ® 111
    Processor Speed 866/133 MHZ
    Proc 68A
    Cache size (L1/L2) 32/256 KB
    Memory Size 128 mb/122 MHZ
    System ROM: 68677v1.11
    swappable CD/ Floppy disk drive

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

What type drives are installed in the machine, i.e. Floppy, CD-ROM, etc?

3. bleufrog

bleufrog Thread Starter

Hi,

This unit has a swappable CD/Floppy disc drive but I'm on my way to Staples to purchase an external Floppy or visa versa. If this is something you can handle, I'll gladly pay for your service. Actually, this belongs to a good friend who has been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for saving his entire platoon in Vietnam. Thought it would help him to install Norton System Works. That's when everything went south, so to speak.

We have 2 desktops of our own & two laptops. Would your annual service accommodate these or do we need separate service agreements for the 4 units we have? Thanks very much.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

I was trying to get you to tell me what type drives are physically installed in the machine.
    I am not clear on what you mean when you state the unit has a "swappable" CD/floppy drive?

If you have a CD or floppy drive installed in the machine, you may have to access BIOS and set the boot sequence to boot from the CD or floppy drive as the 1st boot device. From what you describe it sounds as if the boot sequence may be set to boot from the hard drive first and that is why it is not booting from a CD or floppy.

Also, if you can get the machine to boot from the CD or floppy drive, do you have a reinstallation disc to reload 2000 Pro? You stated the machine has 128mb of RAM. With 128mb of RAM XP Pro will run like a "slug" if it runs at all. 128mb of RAM will run 2000 PRO although performance will not be great.

5. valis

valis Moderator

was just giong to say that. xp pro would work on that machine, but not very well. Yyou really need to get up to 512 for xp to be happy, although it will still run on 256, just slowly. I don't even want to think about it on 128.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

valis is correct. Install win2k not xp. Even for win2k 128 of ram is marginal. Before you begin, old compaqs often did not use a real bios. They had the bios as part of the hd. Check your manual or the compaq site to find out if you have one of these. If you have a real bios chip, then you can do the following.

What I would do. Insert your win2k CD and restart the system. Now enter the bios and set the CD as the first boot device; save settings and exit. You will see a msg "To boot from CD press any key" Do so. Once in setup, choose to install. Have setup format the drive with ntfs and setup will continue to load windows.

Note I would have all updates, sp4, security rollup, and all drivers downloaded and burned to a CD. This will make the install go much easier.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

8. bleufrog

bleufrog Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry for poor explanation. This PC has a removable CD drive and a removable Floppy Drive.
    The CD Drive & the Floppy Drive can not both be installed at the same time. It's one or the other. However, I purchased an external floppy drive last night which should allow the (removable) CD drive that's in the computer now and the external floppy drive to be installed at the same time. Otherwise, if the removable CD drive was installed and the function called for a floppy disk to be inserted, the computer would have had to be shut down while the removable CD drive was taken out and the removable Floppy drive inserted in its place. With the addition of the external Floppy drive, this alternating back and forth with the drives will be eliminated.

As far as the boot order, I was able to access the boot order via the F8 key, etc. and made the necessary, i.e., 1st boot order as floppy, 2nd boot order as cd, etc. I reverse the order as well making the 1st boot order the cd. Any which way I tried, the computer does not boot. It show the Win2k logo then another prompt to hit either the F8 or F10 which I've done to no avail.

Unfortunately, the computer came with Win2K installed so there's no installation CD available. We do have Win 98SE or ME installation CD though if that could work?

We could pay for your live chat or call the phone number you have listed but would like to have everything you may need ready & available so as not to waste your time. Please advise the best course of action as we are in computer hell with no way out. Thanks so much for being there.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

First of all here is a user guide that you might find handy;

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705936/c00705936.pdf

You can't use the Win 98SE or Win ME CD's UNLESS they are retail versions. System builder or OEM versions are "married" to the machine on which they were originally installed and cannot be moved to another machine.

There is also another caveat that would need to be addressed in changing the operating system and this is using the legacy module discussed in chapter 5 (page 38) of the above manual.

Per the above manual Win98 or Win NT will not run on the machine unless the legacy module is installed on the machine. Apparently, from what I read in the manual the legacy module is optional in Win ME and Win 2000.

Personally, I wouldn't invest a great deal of time, effort or money in a machine of this vintage.

10. bleufrog

bleufrog Thread Starter

Hey Guys and Gals,

Special thanks for taking the time to help me out. What a great group of techies!
    I'll keep you posted if I make any progress.

bluefrog out

11. bleufrog

bleufrog Thread Starter

Guess, I checked the manual you provided and sure enough the computer comes with the legacy module as shown on page 38. Also, the installation CDs' I have (Win98 SE & ME) are both retail versions, if that helps or not. I know this is an oldie but it serves our friend's purpose very well; namely sending & receiving email. Otherwise, he doesn't gravitate to computers like the rest of us mere mortals. Besides which, this computer was given to him as a gift from the Vietnam Veterans of America which he hold near & dear to his heart. Now, I come along and create havoc trying to help. Anyway, if ya'll like to know more about the person you're helping out, let me know if it's okay to give his name so you can google him and see for yourself what a terrific guy he is. He's one of only 167 living Medal of Honor recipients and as humble as can be. Of his heroic deed, he says "I was just fulfilling my contract! (to a power higher than any military top brass, that is). Anyhow,
    many thanks for your time and generosity. All of you, many thanks. - bluefrog out

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice