1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Couldn't install nVIDIA drivers, now it won't turn on.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by RustyGentleman, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RustyGentleman

RustyGentleman Thread Starter

Hello.

I'm in quite a predicament. Today my computer started freezing and then the signal to the monitor would be lost, never to be recovered again, so I'd have to restart it. It happened twice. Then, at rebooting, I'm greeted with the message that I had a BlueScreen (0x116) happen.

So I look it up and mostly it just tells me to update my drivers, but there's a slight issue... I haven't been able to install ANY drivers from nVIDIA since I think v.339. So I look that up. I find a site that tells me to try and update the drivers through the Device Manager thing, so I do that, and... Well, for starters it wasn't an nVIDIA driver... But okay, I guess. It asked for me to reboot. And.... Nothing.

It did turn on once out of insistence and went to initialization repair, and... *sigh* it got stuck. Couldn't even cancel it. So I try and reboot it another dozen times, and nothing.

• It does light up, it lights up the mouse and keyboard, but nothing on monitor.
    • I've checked the cables enough times already.
    haelp

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When was the last time you opened the side panel of the computer tower and blew out all the dust and debris?
    If it's heavily clogged with dust and debris, especially the processor heatsink/cooling fan unit, that can cause freezes, reboots, etc..

Does your computer have integrated NVIDIA graphics or an actual NVIDIA graphics card?
    What's the exact description of its graphics device?

What version and bit version of Windows is your computer running?

What's the brand name and model name and model number of your computer?

What's the brand name and model number and wattage of its power supply?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. RustyGentleman

Hello, and thanks for the reply.

I just opened it up and cleaned the CPU's heatsink with a paintbrush - It wasn't totally clogged, but there was quite a bit. That's gotta help with the heat problem, but I don't think it was it that was preventing it from turning on. It did turn on, though, but the resolution is wonky...

It's an actual nVIDIA GPU.

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

It's a Gigabyte GTX 650TI Boost.

The computer I built myself, part by part, it wasn't pre-built.

The PSU is a generic brand (Coletek) 450W (Model GPB-450S)

EDIT: Since it turned on, I'll try to install the drivers again. The older version seems to be replaced with a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" driver, and the resolution is all wrong...
    EDIT 2: I successfully installed the driver by letting it fail, so the files were extracted to C:\NVIDIA, and manually selecting it from the Device Manager.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You used a paint brush? Hopefully, it has fine flexible hairs and didn't do any damage or dislodge anything.
    If you have a portable hair dryer, set it on its coolest temperature and highest fan speed, then give the ENTIRE inside of the case a good blowing out.
    Obviously, you don't want to do this inside your home.
    That's a power-hungry graphics card which uses 134 watts and requires a "minimum" of a 450 watts power supply.
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650ti-boost/specifications
    All the websites for that power supply are non-English, so I can't read anything about its technical specs and reliability.
    I'm not a hardware expert, but that power supply may be part of the problem you're having.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. RustyGentleman

The paintbrush was made of hairs, yes. And I'll use the hair dryer later just in case.

I never had problems with this graphics card, apart from the drivers. But I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

And yes, it must from here. I live in Brazil.

Well, the problem seems to be solved. Thanks for your replies anyway. c:

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice