1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Couldn't Open Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fecitymavi, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fecitymavi

fecitymavi Thread Starter

I've started an earlier string

http://forums.techguy.org/t116719/s.html

This is the problem I'm faced with and don't know what to do from here. After deleting current partition and then formatting in NTSF file system, it goes through the process of preparing for installation. When it reboots, it says the following:

"couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)
    NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)"

If I take the XP CD out it just has blank screen with blinking cursor in the top left corner.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Try pressing the "del" key while it's booting, that may get you into the bios. Make sure the cd is the 1st boot device.

If del doesn't work try the "F2" key.

3. fecitymavi

Well, I've got serious issues going on but I was able to get the screen to the C:\ prompt can I access my BIOS from this prompt?

F2 and DEL didn't work

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

No. The bios comes before any OS is loaded. Maybe if you give some info on your system we can help. I looked at your previous post, but if you put your configuration there I missed it.

I had an E-Machine that you had to push the del key while the e-machine logo was on... Lots of configurations out there so try and give more info.

5. fecitymavi

350 Mhz AMD-K6 3D version 2
    192MB RAM
    Compaq CDR-8322B
    Creative CR-WR RW8438E
    Rage LT Pro AGP 2X

6. waltj2

waltj2

Hello

No, you cant access the BIOS from the C prompt. It can only be accessed by hitting specific keys during the boot up process. Some manufactureres (ie ACER) use specific keys, especially older machines. My K6-2 Acer system uses 3 keys, Control, Alt, & Escape (what a pain!). Newer units use only 1 key, usually Delete. The key(s) have to be hit when the splash screen comes on (ie ACER or Compaq). Sometimes you have to numerous reboots & keep tapping the key(s) until you reach the BIOS. I suggest you contact Compaq to find the correct keys to tap.
    Also, when you do access the BIOS, do the following: (You will have to search thru the pages to find the page with the specific info)
    1. Disable Quick Boot, if you have the option. Quick Boot enabled severely limits the time to hit the correct keys to access the BIOS.
    2. Set the Boot Options to the following order: 1st Boot device:floppy disk, 2nd Boot device: CDRom, 3rd Boot device Hard Drive. This way, start up will take longer because 1) Memory amount is counted (gives you more time to access the BIOS, & 2) the computer searches for boot files on the floppy first, then the CDRom, then the Hard drive. Dont select any thing that reads Load Best performance or Optimal settings, as these will undo your changes.

Next, I would boot the computer with the WIN98 boot floppy disk in. Select Start computer w/ CDRom Support. At the A: prompt, type in fdisk. One of the 4 options is to view partitions. Select it. If it reads "unknown or damaged or unformatted", then you have an NTFS partition. Hit escape to backtrack. Select "Delete partition". It will ask what partition to delete, & show you your partitions. Select the partition, & hit enter.(I had to do this step several times for a corrupted NTFS partition). Now you have to create a partition, and make it active (one of the options). Select it. When this step is completed (a few minutes), pop out the floppy disk, put in the WInXP disc, and reboot the computer. If all was done correctly, XP should install w/o any problems, other than asking you what type of FAT table you want installed. NTFS will take longer to format, but its worth the wait.

Good Luck!!

7. waltj2

waltj2

Hello again
    Just some more notes
    1. In your previous post, someone posted an excellent lint to a site w/ a link to downloading info to setup 6 boot floppies for XP. I suggest downloading and making them, for emergencies.
    2.During setup, leave the XPCD in the CDRom. Dont take it out, as there will be several automatic reboots during the setup.
    3.Before installing, check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your machines hardware on a CD, just in case XP doesnt have one.

Walt

8. fecitymavi

Walt,

Thanks for information. I will do as suggested and keep fingers crossed.

9. bornl

bornl

I have a compaq presario 7360 win AMD 500Mhz, 256MB ram, segate baracuda 40GB Hard Disk (old 10 GB Died).

I install the 40 GB and tried t install Xp and got the error

"couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)
    NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)"

Searched the web for solution and found this thread and similar one like it that all suggest using fdisk to solve the issue. Problem was Fdisk would not run (div/0 error).

Digging further I found that The problem seems to be with the HD being set on CS. Once the HD was set on master everything was ok. XP setup work without a hitch.

Just my contrib.

10. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Bornl, that sounds like it could possibly be the cause if the drive is set to CS and the drive's connected to the primary slave connector on the ribbon...

Best,

11. TechLover

TechLover

For those of you who are having this problem this is one way of solving it. Ensure that the Hard Drive is on primary master and the only drive on the IDE cable. Place the CD, DVD or whatever Drive you use on a (SEPERATE) IDE cable, secondary slave (that is your "jumper should be set on SLAVE on your CD, DVD drive) then restart your Computer with your bootable Windows XP CD ensuring that your first boot device is CD or DVD drive.
    TechLover.

12. TechLover

TechLover

For those of you who are having this problem this is one way of solving it. Ensure that the Hard Drive is on primary master and the only drive on the IDE cable. Place the CD, DVD or whatever Drive you use on a (SEPERATE) IDE cable, secondary slave (that is your "jumper should be set on SLAVE on your CD, DVD drive) then restart your Computer with your bootable Windows XP CD ensuring that your first boot device is CD or DVD drive.
    TechLover.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice