couldnt open drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ratty

Hi

i have just installed windows xp on my old computer and no when i start my computer up it says.

couldnt open drive multi (0) disk (0) rdisk(0) partition(1)

NTLDR:couldnt open drive multi (0) disk (0) rdisk(0) partition(1)

or some times it would say a disk read error occured.

could anyone people help me to fix this problem

This may or may not be a hardware problem. I am not an expert at this; but "multi (0) disk (0) rdisk(0) partition(1)" refers to the NT (Windows XP) boot partition. Either the drive is bad, has bad clusters or something in the boot sector is corrupt.

When is the last time you know for sure this computer ran well and under which OS?

Boot into the repair console with the xp cdrom enter the repair console by clicking R at the prompt. Then type in the following commands and reboot when complete.

COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)
COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)

Then reboot wthout the disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online