1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Counter Strike

Discussion in 'Games' started by kidpro89, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kidpro89

kidpro89 Thread Starter

when i play counter strike i have high ping, how do i lower the ping.

it's not that every body has high ping like mine.
    If you ever played with me u could see that my ping goes to like 2k or 3k is there a reason for having a high ping. and what is a really good and cheap video card?

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

increase your internet speed

3. kidpro89

kidpro89 Thread Starter

how would i increase the internet speed, i use dsl

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

otherpeople playing probably arent

5. bbrifle

bbrifle

There are basicly two major things that effect lag:
    1) internet conection
    2) location

Since you said you have DSL, the problem may not lie in the connection. From experiance, players with DSL usually get 90-200 pings. However, some providers aren't as good as others, and you might have just drawn the short straw. If that's the case there is nothing you can do accept maybe look for another provider.

Your real problem probably lies in location. Try to find servers that are located near you. For example, someone who lives on the east coast often times pings a lot better on an east coast than a west coast server. The change can be in the hundreds. If you are trying to play overseas it can be even more.

You said your ping goes up into the thousands... is it always there or just spiking? If it is just spiking, you might want to try to play at a different time of day. This was a problem I used to have with my cable. During peak hours (7-9pm) the service would cut off and go back on for half-seconds, causing my ping to sky rocket.

I really doubt it could be in your settings, but it might be worth looking into. Consider costomizing your configs. If you've never really done that, you might just want to download some other players configs.

I hope something in there can help you!

6. flyeater

flyeater

Check your household phone lines for defects to start. Look for broken insulation or exposed copper especialy outside. Pick up a phone press any number but 0 and listen for line noise (hissing & static, etc.)
    It's also a good idea not to have to much distance from your modem to the wall jack.
    Do you have a home network? Are others using the connection at the same time as you? What modem brand do you have and what is your OS?

7. kidpro89

kidpro89 Thread Starter

my OS is windows 2000 professional

i do have a home network but i'm the only one that plays it

it cant be location since my friend that lives a few blocks away doesnt have the problem

can it be my computer's hardware?

what do u mean by modem brand, i'm not that good with computer terms

8. flyeater

flyeater

Some modems can be tweaked to get better results.
    Paste this url into your address bar for a list of tweak sites:

google.com/search?as_q=modem+tweaks%2C+dsl&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&c2coff=1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=off

I'd make it a link for you but I don't think it would come out right.

As I stated before the best way to find the problem is to check everything. From the physical phone lines to your CS config.
    I can say one thing that helped me a lot was running all new CAT5 cable. Very cheap to do yourself if it's an option.
    I don't know how well Win 2000 handles a PPOE connection, which is probably what you have. I know that Win 98 would "leak" the drivers to the point that once a month I'd have to reinstall them.
    Something you may want to consider for the future is that 2000 is not considered the best gaming OS. It can take a bit of tweaking to get things just right. Some folks do love it but others find it hard to configure.

9. kidpro89

kidpro89 Thread Starter

idk if i should do the tweaking and stuff since i may break my computer. but i think a possibility might be wat i have on my computer, should i use like hijack log.

i dont know if i said this before but cs had no problem before, i think it was working fine when i just started using 1.6

10. KeithKman

KeithKman

Change your rates.

cl_updaterate "35"
    cl_cmdrate "100"
    rate "20000"

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice