1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Counterfeit Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ssmith88, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ssmith88

ssmith88 Thread Starter

I purchased a sealed 'genuine' copy of Windows XP Professional with product key from Ebay about 2 years ago. I registered the copy with the product key back then and it worked fine until a recent update.

Now, Microsoft are saying that I have a counterfeit copy with invalid product key for my region(Australia).

How do I remove the annoying 'victim of software counterfeit' reminder that Microsoft has put on my desktop? Except for the obvious solution:(

please help

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya ssmith88.

There are various dodgy ways of removing the `victim of ...` pop-up but I`d like to think that this isn`t the place to get that information as Microsoft are probably correct, whatever we think of them and fiddling with things like that is probably illegal anyway.

If you`re convinced that you bought a genuine disk, contac MS an explain the situation to them and see what they say. They may tell you that you did use a counterfeit disk but as it`ll be difficult to trace and prosecute the original seller, they might offer you a good price on a genuine serial number and then they`ll talk you through how to enter it into your system.

Jenny

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try reactivating. If that fails automatically on the internet, then use the phone option and explain the problem to a human. I think you'll find them very co-operative.

# Click Start > Run > and type in Regedit
    # Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents
    # In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify
    # Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows
    # Click OK and close regedit
    # Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a"

Reactivate or choose the phone option.

4. ssmith88

ssmith88 Thread Starter

thanks for advice. I've found its difficult to contact Microsoft by email.
    It probably is genuine but an American version. It would not be too difficult to prosecute sellers because these copies are still sold vastly on Ebay.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I doubt it's a genuine version. Much of the software sold on eBay is pirated. If you paid a ridiculously low price, that's an immediate red flag. The suggestion was to contact Microsoft by phone, not e-mail. You're not going to resolve this over e-mail. Microsoft used to offer a discounted legal Windows XP license to people who were victims of piracy, but I don't know if they would do that now given it's two Windows versions old.

6. ssmith88

ssmith88 Thread Starter

Ok, I will give Microsoft a call to resolve this issue.

Its probably genuine but must use the product key in another region.

but I don't understand how EBay can get away with offering pirated software by its sellers.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Product keys are not region-specific. It's not like you buy a computer in the US and it stops working or is flagged as illegal once you take it to another country.

8. ssmith88

ssmith88 Thread Starter

validation failure details read...

"The product key found on this computer is not valid for use in your region."

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have the Australian regional and language settings activated (not that that has much to do with it--just curious)? Frankly, I didn't know that there even existed an "Australian" version of Windows. How would it differ from, say, the UK version?

Have you been to a repair shop recently? Or has anyone worked on that machine at all?

Is the version of XP that you have installed the same as the one you purchased (Check computer properties)?

The most common scenario where something like this happens is when an unscrupulous repair shop decides that the easiest way to fix a problem is with a repair installation of a volume-licensed, illegal version of Windows (usually Pro).

Also, someone else could have used your key to activate. Or, if you have a VLK, it may have been disabled due to frequent piracy.

Any of these can be addressed by a phone call to MS.

There are some steps here that you can try:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...p/thread/d49a546f-7bff-48c6-806a-2a581f06bb0b

No one is doubting that the error said, "The product key found on this computer is not valid for use in your region." Only that it is the real cause or root of the problem. As DoubleHelix said, people move and travel all the time and don't get this kind of problem. It can be a mistake to believe error messages because they can be errors themselves at times. You don't become a thief in one country because you bought something in another.

10. ssmith88

ssmith88 Thread Starter

how do I activate Australian regional and language settings?

I guess I'll need to ring Microsoft to find solution

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you live in Australia, and did you purchase it from a seller in Australia? Was it listed as an Australian localized version?

12. ssmith88

ssmith88 Thread Starter

I purchased it at Ebay(Australia site) from Australian seller.
    It was fully sealed with product key.
    I've now got the Microsoft Australian number

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, and set the machine for your region. You mean you've gone all this time not using Australian dollars and other regional measures?

That phone call will either solve the problem or illuminate your options.

14. ssmith88

ssmith88 Thread Starter

Thanks

I've set regional settings from USA to Australia

I wonder if this works

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

As I said, I don't expect that to solve the problem, but it will make you feel more at home. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice