1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

counterfeit XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ROADTOAD, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ROADTOAD

ROADTOAD Guest Thread Starter

I've got a counterfeit copy of XP Pro. Given the exorbitant price Microsoft wants for one of their kits to correct the problem, I'm tempted to pick up a copy of XP Home while it's on sale at Wal-Mart. Can I install it over my XP Pro, or do I have to uninstall the XP Pro first? I know this is a basic question, but I really don't want to screw up my computer doing this. Thank you in advance.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

3. coachdan32

coachdan32

You would need to reformat your PC and then install Home.

4. ROADTOAD

ROADTOAD Guest Thread Starter

Thanks all. Would XP Pro do it? Assuming I could find it at a decent price. Or would I have to format my drive with that, too?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you find a legal copy of XP-Pro, you can do an "upgrade" install over the existing copy and preserve your application installations. You'll enter the CD-Key and that will be your new key.

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice