counterfeit XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ROADTOAD

I've got a counterfeit copy of XP Pro. Given the exorbitant price Microsoft wants for one of their kits to correct the problem, I'm tempted to pick up a copy of XP Home while it's on sale at Wal-Mart. Can I install it over my XP Pro, or do I have to uninstall the XP Pro first? I know this is a basic question, but I really don't want to screw up my computer doing this. Thank you in advance.

ROADTOAD

Thanks all. Would XP Pro do it? Assuming I could find it at a decent price. Or would I have to format my drive with that, too?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you find a legal copy of XP-Pro, you can do an "upgrade" install over the existing copy and preserve your application installations. You'll enter the CD-Key and that will be your new key.

pugmug

Banned
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online