1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Couple of OS 10 questions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Allicia_T, Oct 18, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

I do have an external hard drive that I used to back up my files on my old computer. It's got plenty of space on it for more backups with this one.
    Not sure what you mean by usb pen but I do use a wacom pen mouse tablet, that uses a USB. Can't use a regular mouse. Yes I'd be interested in seeing how to do the back up. I only saved copies of my files for the other computer. Didn't really understand how to back up, or if that's different from just saving copies of your files on another drive not attached to the computer.
    I did get the files associated with my graphics program. Thanks so much for those screen shots and directions. :)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Cheers
    I will post instructions
    I mean a usb flash drive
    like this as an example
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ul...1-4&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:310780031

you are only going to use this for the one purpose - to make a recovery drive in case windows cannot load
    so it is no use buying more capacity than the 16GB
    You can use a Windows 10 DVD or USB but this has some benefits and I do advise you to make one

It is not vitally urgent so we can proceed with the backup and I will post the first guide when I return in about 3 hours from now

3. Macboatmaster

4. Macboatmaster

Are you proceeding with this please

5. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

My apologies. I've been out straight this last week. I hope to have time this weekend to do this, but gosh, time is short just now. I have not forgotten. For the download, I'm not sure what to click on to download it. There seem to be 3 things to click on, and a 4th clearly unrelated ad 'download now' click.
    Will this only back up my own 'files', i.e. pictures, documents, etc. or will it back up the windows 10 OS, or will the back up be for windows 7, since I think it was originally 7 and when refurbished, they installed 10.
    Matters will quiet down in the next week or so, so that if not this weekend, then next weekend I'll for sure have time. I know for backups of OS time is of the essence, as errors/issues can arise at any time. Thank you for your patience, and again, my apologies.

6. Macboatmaster

There are actually only two either of the ones for the easeus is the one you want
    the other as you say is an ad for a malware application you DO NOT want that
    It will make a complete backup of all
    There is actually quite a lot of work involved but I will stay with you as long as necessary
    Start whenever your time allows

Allicia_T likes this.
  7. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

I've got the program downloaded. Do I need to do something special in order for it to install to c-drive programs, as you specified? I've never had to specify other than say, desktop, where I want something to install to.

I've now got another commitment from 18th-26th that's going to chew up a lot of my time. I'm wondering, with this backing up, is it something that I must sit and monitor as it does it's thing, or is it something I can start, say when ready to head out the door, then when get back, can do next step if any? Also, is it something where I can't be using the computer during the process other than what's needed to complete backups?

Just trying to figure out how to maximize my time to get this done, or if it would be better to wait until this commitment is finished. I really do appreciate your patience with my time line! Thank you.

8. Macboatmaster

Yes as I am unavailable this evening and then from this Wedenesday evening for one week

9. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Okay, in that case will postpone doing anything until after the 26th. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198097