1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Couple of wireless problems... Please help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zan1987, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zan1987

Zan1987 Thread Starter

Well first off I guess I can start with the speed problems.

Around 2months ago we upgraded to 8mb broadband which for the first few hours it was on we where getting max speed on speedtest.net. However a day or so later I noticed download speeds where getting lower and I did regular speedchecks on the same site and noticed I was only getting on average of 4mb now. Today I did another one and I was getting 1.3mb, it's really frustrating as we are paying for 8mb and not 1-4mb. We called our ISP and they where not very helpfull at all, asked us the usual questions and everything is setup properly and they couldn't help.

I'm using a Linksys wireless router with 2x linksys wireless adapters on 2 PC's. Even with only one PC on the speed is slow. I never had any problems with my hardware before but that leads me to another problem...

Recently my internet connection has been dropping out after every few hours which I need to restart my router to regain and even then it takes a while to reconnect. I don't know if it's hardware related.

I have always used the program that came with the adapters to gain my wireless connection but recently windows Wireless Zero Config has been using itself against my wishes and not letting the other program start. Even if I do services.msc the Wireless Zero Config cannot be stopped which is really annoying me. I have done virus and spyware checks and don't know what else to do.

Please help.

2. Speakersrock

Speakersrock

I have had many problems over the years with my routers, and slow connections.
    I can give you the advise that i have been passed onto, but first Can i ask a few things.

are you sure this is all the time, the low speeds?, you have not just checked it at the peak times or something?

You say you have to restart the router every few hours, I got this problem, and it got worse once it got down to a speed almost slower than dial-up!
    A lot of my problems seam to be due to over-heated routers - Which when I have told other pc technicians they say they have never heard of it. - But im still sure thats what it is.

Can you feel it, is the router hot to touch?
    Has it got lots and lots of ventalation arround it?

Let meh know, and I will sugest the things which I tried!

3. Zan1987

Zan1987 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.

Yes I am sure about the low speeds. I check morning, afternoon and night (as my ISP told me to) and get consistently 35-4mb on a good day. The router is usually very hot to the touch but it has plenty of ventilation, it's off the floor but nothing is close to it to block ventilation. And yes it does seem it cuts out as the speed gets very slow just like you said.

Hope you can help me.

4. kjjb0204

kjjb0204

I would try a new router. If it's overheating like that, might not be good. My router is cool to the touch and I work from home, so there's a constant stream of data passing through it. Had a linksys a few years ago, worked great for 3 years, then just dropped speeds like you describe. Bought a new one, speeds returned like magic.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, try with a wired connection to eliminate wireless interference issues. Second, when the speeds are slow on a wired connection, please do this:

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

6. Zan1987

Zan1987 Thread Starter

I've had my linksys router for over 2 years now so it looks like I'll need to buy a new one. Seeing as I linksys adapters would it be wise to get a new linksys router or will say a Belkin do the same job just as well? PS can anyone recommend a good router at a decent price?

JohnWill:

Unfortunatly my computers do not have ethernet ports (no NIC's) so thats why i am using wireless too. that quality test says my IP is not pingable...

7. Speakersrock

Speakersrock

Himm...for now i will not bother saying what i tryed on my 'overheating router', becuase as trhe others have already said, The best thing to do is just buy a new router.
    After passing through serveral routers, I use a little more hidden company called Safecom.

I have an older version, so don't know for the newer ones, but it has never overheated, is very relyable, have'nt restarted or anyhting for like over 6months, e.t.c, e.tc.
    However the only set back with it is that it is quite confusing to configure, and the old instructions, for me, were not very useful.

You can find the website here http://safecom.cn/code/sub/category.asp?prdid=236&subcatid=1

8. kjjb0204

kjjb0204

Just go to best buy and plunk down some money on a g or draft-n router and matching cards for your pc's. Cards from varying manufacturers are typically interoperable, but they each seem to throw in their own speedboost technology that only works with same-brand adapters.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  10. Speakersrock

Speakersrock

Of course, If you don't mind to much on cost, And want a really 'propper' router, try a dreytek one. An industry styandard, advanced, expensive, but ery relyable company.

http://www.draytek.co.uk

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, there is no real need for a vast majority of people to spend a lot of money for a "proper" router (whatever that is), and a standard SOHO router will serve them just fine.

12. Speakersrock

Speakersrock

Yes, you are compleatly right, John.
    I just thought I would sujest, as if anyone is like me and fedup out of thir brains with routers overheating, either one of the two I have sujested will be just great - Besides the need for it for more technical reasosns.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice