1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

couple questions about Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gib88, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

A couple questions about Excel 2007:

1) How can I highlight a whole block of cells and merge them across the rows only? So they would become a single column of rows, but the number of rows would remain the same as before the merge.

2) Is there a way of creating a spreadsheet within a spreadsheet? I mean that I want to create a set of sub-rows within a row under a specific column. Can this be done?

Thanks

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hello,

1) Not sure what you mean. You can merge cells if you want, although it should rarely be used, and almost always for aesthetic purposes only. You can always use the horizontal alignment of 'Center Across Selection' instead of merging cells.

2) Again not sure what you mean. Under rows you have more rows. Can you give an example of what you mean?

3. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

Imagine a 10x10 spreadsheet. How do I select all 10 columns and 10 rows and merge them by row only so that it becomes a 1x10 spreadsheet (i.e. 1 column, 10 rows)?

Take a single row. Take the third column in. How do I divide that single cell into (say) 10 rows. All 10 rows would still be within that single cell. That single cell (now containing a 1x10 spreadsheet) would still be the third cell in the single row we started with (i.e. it would still be 1 row except for the third cell in).

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

No, that's not possible. What do you need this for anyway? There may either be workarounds or other applications which would suit your need(s). If you tell us what you're trying to accomplish (not how you want to get there), we could probably point you in the right direction.

5. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't respond to this. Usually I get a notification in my email but this time I didn't (or more likely didn't see it).

Anyway, I can live with a work-around.

What I was trying to do was to create a spread sheet of computers (rows) and their features (columns). One of the features (columns) was "software". As you can guess, every computer has a ton of software on it, so I wanted to create "sub-rows" for every computer in the software column. These sub-rows would contain each software application installed on the particular computer of that top-level row.

I just worked around this by pressing alt-enter for every software item.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You could keep the software in their own respective rows and just leave blank rows in the adjacent column(s). Or if you wanted a more normalized data structure, every row would contain one single/unique record, so each column would be filled in. Then you could use a PivotTable to show your data. An option.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!