1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

covert FAT 32 to NTFS ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lee99, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lee99

lee99 Thread Starter

i am running Windows XP and i have my system on FAT 32 however i have been informed that it would be best to change this to NTFS. can somebody please tell me why this will be best and also how i do this please.

thank you in advance

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

easiest way is to use partition magic. i think it has a demo mode

3. putasolution

putasolution

You don't need to even do that

It can be done from the command prompt

Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt
    type convert X: /fs:ntfs

where X is the letter of the drive you wish to convert
    note the space

This page makes an excellent job of explaining the advantages of NTFS

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Note that due to a bug in the W2K CONVERT utility, it's not advisable to use it to convert FAT32 to NTFS, you end up with 512 byte clusters, and performance goes down the toilet. I use Partition Magic for this job on W2K systems...

5. chilleds

chilleds

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Is that just for W2K? Or does it affect XP as well.

7. putasolution

putasolution

nope, just W2K

8. rwinegar

rwinegar

I note the word "convert" here. Is this somehow different from doing a total reformat? If one converts from the command prompt, will all data on the drive be lost?

9. putasolution

putasolution

Welcome to TSG, Rwinegar

Yes it is completely different from a format. Conversion from FAT to NTFS leaves all your files, folders and data intact. and nothing lost, except wasted space that is

10. rwinegar

rwinegar

Thanks putasolution. I think we communicated previously in another forum.

My situation is this - I have internal drive D that contains about 60GB of data. Using Casper XP, I clone this to an external firewire drive as a backup. Both these drives are FAT32. I will "convert" the external drive first. When I clone this back to the internal drive, it should take the NTFS file system along with it.

Thanks again.

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I would simply back up to the external, convert the internal, and if it doesnt work (but it most probably will) then restore from the external.

You for some reason seem to want to make one unneccicary step.

12. rwinegar

rwinegar

YIPPEE!!! It worked. You guys are great. Puta solutions helped me before on another forum. Thanks to all. This was my first post on this forum. The subject caught my eye as it is exactly what I was thinking of doing.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In addition, copying from an NTFS filesystem to a FAT32 filesystem does not convert the destination drive to NTFS, it just copies the files. :)

14. rwinegar

rwinegar

You are right johnwill with regard to copying. But, when one CLONES the entire drive, the destination drive assumes the same file system as the source drive. Been there - done that.

How do I determine the cluster size of my new NTFS file system? I know there are charts, but I don't trust them.

15. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

you know, for some reason i dont think in xp home it supports the more advanced ntfs features (encryption etc,) i'd like someone to prove me wrong, but....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice