covert FAT 32 to NTFS ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
$hit!! I just checked the converted drive report in defragmenter. Cluster size was converted to 512 bytes on each drive. These drives are not system drives. What adverse effects can I expect? Any way to convert cluster size without reformatting?

Putasolution, you were wrong!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, the only real option is to use Partition Magic, since an image would, as you say, bring back the bad characteristics of the current filesystem.

The adverse effects will be that the drive fragments faster, and performance on fetching files suffers, since it has 8 times the amount of tables to deal with over the standard 4kb cluster that's standard for NTFS. I noticed a significant slowdown on an 800mhz PIII system when that happened to me.

I reformatted using 4096 bytes per cluster.

I would not recommend "converting" from FAT to NTFS to anyone. By the way, I am running Win XP Pro.

I checked the cluster size using the defrag utility.

I discovered (too late) much info on the Internet that says that a "conversion" from FAT32 to NTFS in the XP operating system will always change the cluster size to 512 bytes.

After having this experience, I don't know why anyone would want to do this.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Found this on Microsoft's website.

If you use the Convert utility to convert a volume from FAT to NTFS, Windows always uses a 512-byte cluster size. FAT structures are aligned on 512-byte boundaries; a larger cluster size does not allow conversion. Note also that in Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and earlier, when a partition is formatted under Windows Setup, the partition is first formatted as FAT and then converted to NTFS. Therefore the cluster size is always 512 bytes when a partition is formatted in Setup. (This information does not apply to Microsoft Windows 2000 Setup or Windows XP Setup, which both format the partition according to your choice of a file system.)

The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

I suppose one way to do it would be a total reinstall, but saving your data to soem sort of backup (external drive etc. ) really stupid idea forcing it to conform to the fat boundries.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online