1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cox internet / router connection issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bluekiwi696, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluekiwi696

bluekiwi696 Thread Starter

I signed up for cox internet, I bought a new modem, the cisco dpc3010. I am trying to hook up my linksys wrt310n router to it and it will not connect. The router will broadcast but there is no connection. The computer gets blazing fast internet when connected directly to the modem. But no connection if connected to the router, even if the connection is through ethernet. have tried resetting everything, no go.
    Have established new network, no go.
    Any ideas?
    Would not like to buy a new router if need be.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Nothing connected to the USB port, right? Are you remembering to power cycle the modem when switching the device connected to it?

3. bluekiwi696

bluekiwi696 Thread Starter

no, nothing connected to the usb port. I power cycled the modem. still not working. finally, I discovered the issue. I read elsewhere on here that you have to clone the mac address of the pc. did this and am now good to go.
    thanks for the help.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Great! You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Just a heads up, the MAC Cloning is not a required step. I assume you had your computer connected first to the modem, which then the Cox servers is using for connectivity and will prevent any other device that gets connected to the modem any internet access... unless you shut down the modem for a minute or two. Then the server will forget what device was connected to the modem, as well as the modem will also forget. At that point you can connect the router and power back up.

Again, this was just informational... as long as it works now then you are good to go :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice