1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU 100%...OS Re-install did not fix. USB Ports stopped working.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DonJon, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DonJon

DonJon Thread Starter

My CPU has been 100% for over a month. I first thought it was a virus so a scanned w/ every program out there and nothing would detect anything, HJT log was reviewed and nothing found so I went down the Registry Path and tried to repair with Registry Repair Tools to no avail. So I backed up all my files and did a complete OS re-install in CPU is still at 100%. And when this problem first started by USB ports stopped working.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If after all of this your CPU is still at 100% I would suspect that you have an overheating problem or the CPU might have a problem. Lets try the overheating first download and run this program and please post teh results

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

3. DonJon

DonJon Thread Starter

Ozrom1e,
    Not sure how to save and import the results so I'll just type.
    Ambient 38C
    Remote 1: 40c
    Remote 2 : 118C
    HD0: 39c
    Core: 42c

Fan1:830RPM
    Fan2: 1862RPM

Not sure what Remote2 is but there's a flame by it and 118C seem pretty hot for inside of a computer. You may be on to something...

4. marty.warwick

marty.warwick

Could Remote 2 be the Chipset?
    If it was I'm surprised it hasn't completely conked out at 118, I had a few overheating troubles in the summer, the chipset temperature (monitored by a program called Smartguardian, which came with my motherboard, an NForce 4 from DFI) and was at points getting up to 50C, in which the PC would simply reboot. I've sinced solved the problem using the handy fan controls.
    118 seems so hot, you could double check using a different program. As well as SG, I've used PC Wizard 2007, which gives slightly different readings.
    You can download Smartguardian from the ITE website (http://www.ite.com.tw/software_download/software_download2.asp), but you need to have the ITE controller chipset on your particular motherboard for it to work. As mentioned, NForce 4 boards have it.
    And PC Wizard 2007 can be found here: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Regards,
    Marty

5. otzi

otzi

you should scan virus ::)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect "remote 2" is simply an unused channel. At 118C, the chipset would have surely failed.

7. DonJon

DonJon Thread Starter

So if we disregard the temp reading on Remote 2 does that mean I'm back to square 1?

If this helps-
    Running stats from PC Wizard gives a little more detail.
    It shows that the Power/Aux Temperature to be 118 C and the Processor Fan to be the one running at 1834 RPM

otzi - I've ran multiple Virus Scans - Trend Micro, McAfee and others.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice