CPU 100% usage freezes system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Carl1949

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3981 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1798 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (66 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO, Lenovo B50-30
Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I updated to Windows 7 after using XP for several years, and it has been on the whole somewhat faster than XP, although I am still not keen on the file and folder system. In recent months, however, on startup it takes longer and longer to get going. At first I assumed it was simply updating, but when it got to a hour that I had to wait before working, I tried using Task Manager to see what was happening. It seems that the 100% CPU usage that is slowing everything down is associated with two groups of programs. svchost.exe and regsvr.exe. These seem to be associated with some kind of internet activity, because when I disable the internet CPU usage drops to 50% or so. Today I selected one of the svchost.exe programs that was most active and disabled it, despite warnings about loss of data and system instability. And so far I have been able to work happily on the internet without any obvious problems. Can you explain (in simple words) what these two sets of programs do, why they use up all my CPU capacity, and whether I can go on disabling one of them as I just did. (I waited nearly an hour and a half before doing so).

plodr

Liz
One of the svchost is used by Windows Update.
Do you have auto update turned on?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Lenovo B50-30 laptop originally came with Windows 8.1 Home 64-bit.
When and how did you switch yours to Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit?

I was going to advise adding another 4 GB of RAM, but your laptop has a weak processor, so I don't believe doing that will help much with improving its speed and snappiness.

Your laptop's hard drive is pretty full, so it's my guess it has a lot of installed apps which equates to a lot of running processes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Carl1949

One of the svchost is used by Windows Update.
Do you have auto update turned on?
No, I chose for them to ask me first. In fact I have assumed for months that they were updating, but when I checked the last update was 5 or 6 months ago.

Carl1949

The Lenovo B50-30 laptop originally came with Windows 8.1 Home 64-bit.
When and how did you switch yours to Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit?

I was going to advise adding another 4 GB of RAM, but your laptop has a weak processor, so I don't believe doing that will help much with improving its speed and snappiness.

Your laptop's hard drive is pretty full, so it's my guess it has a lot of installed apps which equates to a lot of running processes.

I got it a couple of years ago from eBay, advertised as an unused gift with Win 7. It seemed a lot newer than my old Dell so I assumed it had originally come with 7. However, it has given me very few problems until this year. Most of the apps I have installed are the type you have to start up yourself, and in any case Task Manager says there are none running. The processes shown don't match any of my own installed programs. Most of my hard disc is full of documents, pictures and videos -- I may try deleting some of the latter and trusting to my backups if all else fails!
Thanks for the info anyway.

If I had a computer in that state then I would do the following:
1 - Backup all documents, pictures, programs (installation files) and drivers on external media.
2 - Divide the disk into three parts (suggestion) -> C: / System, D: / Data (programs and drivers), "-" / Media (eg 100GB + 100GB + 300GB).
3 - Install Windows 7 according to flavallee (https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-for-installing-updating-windows-7-sp1.1176121/).

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I got it a couple of years ago from eBay, advertised as an unused gift with Win 7. It seemed a lot newer than my old Dell so I assumed it had originally come with 7.
What's the exact serial number on your Lenovo B50-30 Laptop?

Does it have a Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on the bottom of its case or inside its battery compartment?
If it does, advise what the exact Windows version on it is.

Carl1949

If I had a computer in that state then I would do the following:
1 - Backup all documents, pictures, programs (installation files) and drivers on external media.
2 - Divide the disk into three parts (suggestion) -> C: / System, D: / Data (programs and drivers), "-" / Media (eg 100GB + 100GB + 300GB).
3 - Install Windows 7 according to flavallee (https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-for-installing-updating-windows-7-sp1.1176121/).
I wouldn't have the confidence to try anything as extreme as that, but thanks for the suggestion!

Carl1949

What's the exact serial number on your Lenovo B50-30 Laptop?

Does it have a Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on the bottom of its case or inside its battery compartment?
If it does, advise what the exact Windows version on it is.

No Certificate, just a little Windows 7 sticker. Number is CB34869974

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
No Certificate, just a little Windows 7 sticker. Number is CB34869974
According to that serial number, you have THIS Lenovo B50-30 (Machine Type 80ES Model 59440600) laptop.
It appears it was purchased in the U.K. in January 2015 and that its warranty expired in March 2016.
It appears it came with Windows 7 64-bit, but I can't confirm that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
I chose for them to ask me first.
Ah, but that means the computer is checking for updates in the background and could account for the 100% CPU usage.
Since you haven't been offered any updates since January or perhaps March (there were no updates in February), it appears that the updating process might be broken.

If you didn't install the March update, you were susceptible to WannaCry ransomware. That's been broken but perhaps the computer has other malware on it trying to communicate with web sites that have been taken down.
https://www.askwoody.com/2017/how-to-make-sure-you-wont-get-hit-by-wannacrywannacrypt/

Carl1949

According to that serial number, you have THIS Lenovo B50-30 (Machine Type 80ES Model 59440600) laptop.
It appears it was purchased in the U.K. in January 2015 and that its warranty expired in March 2016.
It appears it came with Windows 7 64-bit, but I can't confirm that.

That sounds right -- I bought it around mid 2015. Amazing you could find all that out!

Carl1949

Ah, but that means the computer is checking for updates in the background and could account for the 100% CPU usage.
Since you haven't been offered any updates since January or perhaps March (there were no updates in February), it appears that the updating process might be broken.

If you didn't install the March update, you were susceptible to WannaCry ransomware. That's been broken but perhaps the computer has other malware on it trying to communicate with web sites that have been taken down.
https://www.askwoody.com/2017/how-to-make-sure-you-wont-get-hit-by-wannacrywannacrypt/
I checked for available updates last night and it seems my last update was last November. There are no important updates outstanding, but three optional ones, two being system and security related, so I shall install those later. I have scanned a few months ago for viruses but none were found. This problem has come on slowly, the whole thing taking longer and longer for the CPU to settle down.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I checked for available updates last night and it seems my last update was last November.
In October 2016, Microsoft switched from providing a list of updates every month to providing a "security monthly quality rollup" update every month.
With the exception of November 2016 and February 2017, a SMQR update for Windows 7 has been released every month.
Your only option may be to select and download and save and then install them individually in the correct order.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com...ty+rollup+for+windows+7+for+x64-based+systems

Carl1949

In October 2016, Microsoft switched from providing a list of updates every month to providing a "security monthly quality rollup" update every month.
With the exception of November 2016 and February 2017, a SMQR update for Windows 7 has been released every month.
Your only option may be to select and download and save and then install them individually in the correct order.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com...ty+rollup+for+windows+7+for+x64-based+systems

I was never told about any of this! My computer obviously doesn't know about it either, so maybe that's why it is searching so much? If these monthly security updates are so important, I wonder why Microsoft hasn't sent its users an email about it? I will certainly look into that, thanks for the info.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online