1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu 100% usage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fuzzywuzzywo, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fuzzywuzzywo

fuzzywuzzywo Thread Starter

when i use my computer, (no specific pattern yet) suddenly the cpu usage goes up to 100% and never goes down. my computer is slowed badly and its really annoying (i'm afraid its gonna overheat) i dont know when it does this, because its only happened three or four times so far in the past 2 days. does anyone know how i would start to look for a problem? i've checked for adware and viruses, and i did a once-over of my processes and nothing appears to be out of the ordinary. where do i go from here?

2. GratedToppin

GratedToppin

I like this "RegCleaner":

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm

It has a place where you can view programs starting when you bootup and gives info on where they are and you can easily prevent what you want from starting. Perhaps that could help.

Of course, with XP, you can "CTRL ALT DEL" to bring up the task manager. Then, under the 'processes' tab, it shows you which one is taking up the most CPU usage and then you can end that process by clicking the right button.

3. fuzzywuzzywo

ok...the process that constantly takes up 98-100% of the cpu is SYSTEM : ( --no help there. when another large program is running, they split it fifty-fifty with system getting more mostly. i just remembered that this usually starts when i'm playing a game: twice in battlefield 1942 and once in the splinter cell demo. a few of the weird un-normal processes in startup are "tfil70nl.exe" "alchem.exe" and "logi_mwx" and 2 blank(nameless) processes... i cant find much info on any of these.

4. GratedToppin

GratedToppin

If you right-click on 'System' under 'Image Name' on the Wiindows Task Manager's 'Processes' tab (whew!), is the 'Set Priority' no longer set to 'normal'?

Is there still slowdown after the 'safe' bootup procedure? Maybe try another virus checker; the Trend Micro free online scan works very well:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Did you scan for spyware with Ad-aware + SpyBot?

5. fuzzywuzzywo

i got rid of a virus i had, but the problem still happened, during battlefield again (one of the few games i play) priority is normal, setting it to low while this is happenening causes the computer to lag even more. scanned with adaware, spybot, and trend-micro..nothing

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice