1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU 100% with legit programs?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KHolloman, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KHolloman

KHolloman Thread Starter

The Vice Presidents cpu keeps maxing out at 100% with legit programs such as Hotsync.exe, imapp.exe etc...

I have cleared his spyware, had him run and fix anything housecall found, and his log looked fine except for one exe in his system32 folder.

There is one entry I am not too sure of in his log:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

Should this be removed?

Also, is there anything else I can check? This is a brand new HD and XP with all the updates with the exception of SP2 has been downloaded.

Thanks (y)

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi Kholloman,

The process is proper to XP, it creates a dump report when errors of the system occur.
    The entry may be fixed if the system runs fine.
    For the 100 % CPU problem, you can locate in your task manager which process is eating your CPU.

3. KHolloman

KHolloman Thread Starter

Thanks Chicon.

I have done taskmanager to locate what's eating the CPU, problem is they are random programs and they are legit programs that he has on his PC

4. Chicon

Chicon

When you start taskmanager, select the Processes tab and click on the word CPU atop of the column to get CPU values in ascending or descending order and you will locate the CPU greedy process.

5. KHolloman

KHolloman Thread Starter

Well the thing is, it's different processes every bootup.

They are not exe's which are phony, they are legit programs.

6. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

I noticed a huge surge in CPU activity at startup in XP too. Though I have not pinpointed the sorce of the problem, I do have a hunch.

Could you list the programs that start up with the computer? Such as AntiVirus', Firewalls, system tools.

7. 10forcash

10forcash

Seen this a few times, always with the 'system' process grabbing all the CPU (NOT the system idle process) each time bar one it has been a hardware fault, faulty memory, graphics card incorrectly seated etc. the one occasion it wasn't hardware was with an AMD processor, the motherboard AMD - specific drivers hadn't been installed......
    Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    10forcash

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice