cpu: 450, or 300? Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jasonrosegiese

Hello all,
My system is finally coming together, It's my first build, and I'm a novice, so there are some problems.

System specs:
Fic VB-601 mother board with intel 440bx chipset.
Slot 1 Pentium 2 w/MMX 450 MHz.
512 mb pc100 ram.
32 mb Savage 4 AGP video card.
Diamond monster 2 12mb video accelerator PCI
Diamond MX300 sound card PCI.
U S R 56k modem.
250w power supply.

O.K., now to the problem.

The mb has switches to set the multiplier from 3.5 to 5.
The front side bus is adjusted in the bios.

The cpu installed is definately a 450, but it says 300 on start-up.
even after I changed to 100MHz fsb, it still said 300.

According to my monitoring program, it is running a 66MHz fsb.
Any ideas what the problem is?
I got the mb used, and I don't have the drivers for it, but when I went to the FIC web site, it just confused me.

Maybe I could use a software program to adjust the fsb? Any one know of a good one.

Plz reply with anything that might be useful.

I wanted to overclock this cpu to 560 MHz, but first I need to get it to its 450.

Other than that, it runs smooth.

jasonrosegiese

I'm running 4 sticks of pc 100 128 mb which = 512mb, and I've double checked that twice now. the wierd thing is, it's oubiously running on a 66 fsb, but even when I drop the multiplier down manually, it still reads 300. I'll check out that bios update, but what about drivers for this mb. Also still looking for a software program to adjust it with.

There is a link to motherboard drivers on the page I posted. I don't know of any software program to change your settings. When you change the bios settings to 100 your are remembering to save changes when you leave setup correct? BOL

jasonrosegiese

Yeah, I saved the settings, and when I reboot, and enter the bios, it still says it's set at 100, but it's not running at 100.

Could it be because there are no drivers installed for the mb?

Like I said, I got it used, I have the manual, but no driver cd.

The hdd was new, and I installed Win 98 se on it, but no drivers for the mb. Is it running off of some generic windows drivers?

Change the multiplier to 4.5 and set the FSB to 100. How high do your frequency multipliers go??

The only thing that I think would affect this would be the bios. Try updating to the newest one. Have you double checked the intel chip to be sure it is a 450?

Windows will load a default (best guess) driver set. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get the correct drivers from the site and see if that helps.

set your motherboard dipswitches and jumpers per the following

PENTIUM II 450MHz
SW1-1=ON
SW1-2=ON
SW1-3=OFF
SW1-4=OFF

PCB
1.3,1.4 100MHzx4

The speed you are getting is probably a default speed when the processor isn't set properly.

The multiplier on those chips are locked and it must be set to 4.5

The front side bus if adjustable in bios should be default at 100.

Good luck on the overclock, I had one of those and it never overclocked that high. You going to need a big time heatsink fan combo and hope your video card will take the agp setting but I wouldn't bet on it. The agp speed is a direct ration to the front side bus, every time you increase the fsb you also increase the agp bus. Gforce vid cards will run on a 90mhz agp bus but few others will even get close to that

jasonrosegiese

The switches on the board are set to 4.5, and I set the fsb at 100, but it still reads 300. My diagnostic program says its running 66 fsb with a 4.5 multiplier.

My manual shows 2 sets of drivers that came on the OEM disk, a patch for the chipset, and a bus master ide driver. I got the chipset patch and installed it, but the other one was not available for some reason. still no luck.

Would I be better off trying to get a slot 1 to 370 adapter with switches on it, then run a celeron between 400 and 500. I'd be happy if I could just get this p2 to run at 450 where it's supposed to.

Are you saying my savage 4 32mb agp card is going to fry if the fsb is at 100 or higher? I was hoping to run it at 112 fsb, but if I can't, then I can't.

No a 112 bus should run fine, it doesn't kick the agp up that much, agp default is 66mhz with a 100mhz front side bus, it uses a 2/3 ration of the front side bus at that speed. At 66mhz bus it uses 1:1 ratio.

You might want to download the intell processor id tool and make sure that you have the right processor, doesn't make any sense that the bus won't run

http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=441

jasonrosegiese

I just tried the id tool, my cpu is not supported. Is there a site where I can Identify the cpu from the product numbers on the cpu?

the cpu reads 80523PY450512PE SL2U7
98351040-0452 MALAY

The guy I got it from swears its a 450.

Are all slot 1 cpu's locked from overclocking?

What about the 370 adapter and a celeron cpu, good idea, or bad?

All pentium processors since the pII 350 have the multiplier locked. You must overclock them using the front side bus speeds only.
Your cpu is listed here http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p2p.htm

It is an oem pII 450

If you really want to overclock the p3600 is the best if you can find one. There getting a little rare now

Jumper settings
PENTIUM III 600MHz
SW1-1=OFF
SW1-2=ON
SW1-3=ON
SW1-4=ON 1.4
100MHzx6.0

But why won't yours work ??????

p3 600E (you must have E version if you do decided to buy a coppermine processor)

$108

HERE
INTEL P III 600E/256/100 SECC2 SLOT 1 OEM CPU W/O FAN (1 YEAR WARR.)

But it doesn't have heatsink/fan so that would be needed also

More important to figure out why yours won't recognize properly

Originally posted by Rockn
Change the multiplier to 4.5 and set the FSB to 100. How high do your frequency multipliers go??
Sounds like Rockn has a plan to me although flashing bio's is no fun

jasonrosegiese

O.K. now, not to be rude, but if it was just jumpered wrong, wouldn't we be done by now??? I do appreciate all the suggestions, I have the manual right here, and the multiplier is set at 4.5. At first I thought I got ripped off, and it was a 300MHz cpu, but brian confirmed that it is an OEM 450 by the numbers on the cpu. At that, I should be able to set the fsb on defualt, and it should go to 100 automatically, but it doesn't. Even when I set the fsb at 100 manually, it doesn't take. It still runs at 300.

As I mentioned before, the manual says it had 2 sets of drivers to install. I found one, but the other was no longer available. It's called a bus master IDE driver. as far as I can tell, this only effects the PCI IDE controller, but if anyone can point me to a place where it's available, I will get it and install it.

One more thing I noticed in the book, that I haven't done is the DMI configuration.

It says to create a bootable floppy, which I believe you just do sys a: in dos (right), then it says to save the DMICFG.EXE from the Cd-rom(win 98 se disk i'm guessing). then boot the pc off the floppy, type DMICFG, then enter to configure the DMI.

Could this be my problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online