1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YLocke, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YLocke

YLocke Thread Starter

So at a recent LAN raffle I won an AMD Phenom X4 9850 processor. The problem is, I don't have an AM2+ socket motherboard... in fact, I'm running intel. What I'm considering doing is selling the AMD cpu and instead using that money to buy an intel (lga775). That way I'd save myself the money of buying a new motherboard, and potentially getting a greater performance boost than I would if I kept the 9850 and bought a motherboard for it.

There's an issue with this though; I've been busy enough lately that I haven't been able to keep track of all of the new parts and their features/requirements. Right now I'm running a core 2 duo [e6400] on 775, with DDR2 ram. I dig up the specifics if needed. Will a modern processor such as one of the Core 2 Quads or newer Core 2 Duos be compatible with everything yet, or have there been significant changes?

Current motherboard:
    Gigabyte 965P-S3

Also, will it support Core 2 Quad wattage? It seems right now that intels are staying pretty green compared to the amd competition, but is it enough for a motherboard as old as that?

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You'll have to check the CPU compatibility list for the motherboard on Gigabyte's website. All the Intel CPUs are still socket 775, even the new duo core 8000 and quad core 9000 series.

However, if the MB is a bit old it may need a BIOS upgrade in order to support the newer quad and duo core CPUs.

The AMD 9850 retails for about $180-190.
    That should get you a Q6600(quad core 2.4Ghz) or an E8500(duo core 3.16) Intel CPU.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice