1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cpu and Bios Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robohawk, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robohawk

robohawk Thread Starter

My cpu is an oem and so is my motherboard.I have an emachines t3612
    with and intel celeron d 3.46 533mhz 512cache,i want to upgrade the cpu to the intel core duo E4700 2.6gb 800 mhz 2mb cache heres my prob.My board is an emachines which is owned by gateway.The board number is intel d945gccrg1 and the revision is 300.
    On the intel site it lists an intel 945gccr but no d945gccrg1.I called intel and at the time they did not know I bought my board from emachines when i read them the board number they gave me the detailed specs of my board and upgrades i could do for my cpu.When i told them it was an oem emachines motherboard they said they could not be sure the processors my board supports would work because gateway tweeks the board once they buy it.On the gateway site is my board exactly posted
    as http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006181R/4006181Rmv.shtml
    this is the board posted on intel
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gccr/
    if i upgrade the cpu i have to have minimum bios of CR94510J.86A
    my current bios are CR94510J.15A.1007.2007.0216.1519 which is an outdated gateway bios that i never upgraded because i never seen the need.I have already maxed out my ram to 2.0 gb and have a high end mid grade xfx geforce 8500gt soon to go to 8600 as i see that to a 9600 is not worth the upgrade plus i will be getting a gaming sound card also but right now i want to upgrade my cpu and am not sure if i put the bios in before dropping the cores in place and putting the heat sink and fan back on if the system will take the new bios and support the processor

2. robohawk

robohawk Thread Starter

I went ahead and flashed the bios myself.The intel bios took considering this was an intel manufactured board in the first place.With the bios upgraded I can now go ahead and drop the new processor and everything will work fine.

Note to viewers: Always make sure a processor is compatible with your board before installing it.The board must have already installed the appropiate bios.If you have an oem system like emachines or any other
    namebrand make sure you either have the appropiate oem bios for the new processor...In my case emachines was not willing to help *** me in this process saying putting new bios on my computer would ruin the board...with being able to upgrade the bios and processor you no longer need the company so there not quick to assist.Considering bios upgrades to the board from the manufatcurer of the board is risky,
    if the oem alters the board in certain ways the bios may not take which
    can ruin your board...so before installing new bios be sure to create a bios recovery disc or floppy and make sure your familiar with the syntax that will need to be reentered if you get the blue screen of death.In my case my board was an intel d945gccr intel purchased from gateway.
    On the board the new number was d945gccrg1.Only the g and the 1 were different which ws on the sticker on the board not on the actual board.I was able to locate the most recent bios for the board by visiting intel.The first two letters of the bios gave me the courage to upgrade the bios.The bios on emachines Gateway was cr****** and so on
    the bios on intel were cr****** and so on so i took a shot and succeeded now when my computer starts it says intel and the processor im upgrading to is the highest for my board.When i drop the processor ill reply back to show how it went.

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy and welcome...

Do It Yourself Projects (37 Viewing)
    Got something around the house that needs fixing and is NOT a computer?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/725714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice