1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU and GPU usage drops with mouse movement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dawhn, Sep 1, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. dawhn

dawhn Thread Starter

I got this PC over 2 weeks ago now and have been trying to resolve this issue. When I move my mouse while i'm in game there is either FPS Lag, stutters, or inconsistency. The specific type of lag/stutter issue varies per game, I mostly test in apex legends because the worst lag occurs there.

Here's a video of the lag: https://streamable.com/tfuet

Here's a picture of my CPU and GPU usage while in game normally and during mouse movements:
    https://imgur.com/5wBlgn9

Through testing I've found things that make the lag & stutters worse and better, but none of these FIX the issue:

- Having teamspeak opened (yes just teamspeak open) can make apex legends go from stuttering to completely dropping frames like in the video above.

- Having an overlay on will impact the amount of lag, for instance having Origin Overlay enabled causes more lag than when it's disabled. (This only affects when the mouse is moving)

- Lowering my mouses hertz / polling rate does lessen the stutter/lag but doesn't get rid of it.

Here's a list of things that I have tried that haven't helped:

• Trying different mouses (Logitech G PRO, Zowie EC2-B, Glorious Odin)
    • Complete wipe of drives & reformat. Reinstall of windows 10
    • Uninstall and reinstall of GPU Drivers (I used DDU)
    • Install of motherboard drivers (Here's the list, I installed almost all of these https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#Download)
    • Tried differnt USB Ports
    • Delete USB Hubs and restart PC
    • Update Chipset driver
    • Tested different ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX)
    • Tried changing from Default Standard Chipset Controller to Intel 300 series Chipset Controller
    • Many windows tweaks (High battery usage, Disable XBOX Game Bar/Game DVR, disabling high precision event timer)
    My PC Specs:

• ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4
    • i9 9900k
    • RTX 2080
    • XPG Spectrix d41 & Corsair Vengeance LPX (tested both)
    • Patriot Burst SSD
    • PSU 850w gold
    I believe that it seems like the issue is some sort of program or configuration that is poorly handling the controller movement of the PC. I've looked for things running, changed mouse settings & tweaked anything i've found that could relate but haven't been able to figure it out.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for me to tryout please let me know, this has been the most frustrating thing and unfortunately all other cases of this issue end with the "fix "just lower your mouse hertz." I appreciate anyone's help, Thank you.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

That only leaves 2 more possibilities....an overheating issues or more likely a server issue.
    What type of CPU cooler are you using?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What are your temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values?
    Use the asrock phantom gaming utility for monitoring temps/voltages. Here is a link to the support page for your mb;
    https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp

Post the info twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test ie prime95, OCCT, or IBT. Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps/voltages.

4. dawhn

dawhn Thread Starter

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What really concerns me.....is you have no CPU fan speed indicated at all. Do you have a CPU cooler installed?

With no CPU fan being indicated, you take a chance at damaging or killing you CPU.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Post a picture of all you hardware inside you PC.

7. dawhn

dawhn Thread Starter

I see the fan right there? CPU Fan1 Speed 5769RPM

8. dawhn

dawhn Thread Starter

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Then that software for you mobo is confusing. I took for the chassis fan. If the RPM is correct, then that is really fast for the CPU. My CPU fan speed is 1834. I use a 3rd party software called HWiNFO64.

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Thanks for the picture. That clarifies the high RPM of your CPU fan....you have a AIO installed. BTW, nice rig.

11. dawhn

dawhn Thread Starter

I had set my fan curve to be a bit higher at lower temps just to keep the CPU cool while testing.(last week) What is a AIO, and thanks, I just wish it worked.

12. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

AIO stands for ALL in one....you have a self contained liquid cooled CPU cooler. They are commonly referred to as AIO's.

13. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Like I stated....I think it's a server related, meaning a lot of people on it at the same time. This causes lags for everyone. Next would be any other software running on the system while gaming. This exacerbates (compounds) the issue.

When I game, I only have the game service running and the actual game. If I want to game with someone and I need to communicate with them I prefer and use Skype. I've found over the years that using the built in communicating software to be poor at best. Along with any of the other so called gaming communicating software.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I tend to think it is overheating. Look at the cpu speed under a no load condition then look at it when running the stress test. 4.9 vs 4.7 under load. The cpu speed is dropping under load. This is normally from overheating. 73C is pretty hot for a liquid cooled system. My ryzen 2700X [overclocked to 4.4Gig] will only get to 60C or so when running prime95.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This also makes me thing you have a cooling issue.
    Linpack is what will generate the MOST heat. A system running at stock speed and voltage should not have a problem with linpack.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice