1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU and PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by regeX, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. regeX

regeX Thread Starter

Ok so im not a total idiot but adding a new PSU seems quite complicated so i thought i'd ask first. My current PSU is 250w. (i know.. really old rig) I also want to add a dual core processor, or at least a better one than my current. Heres my current spec's, sorry about the pics.

http://i40.tinypic.com/qn01u9.jpg - CPU
    http://i42.tinypic.com/qoyj3b.jpg - Board
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2zi9d0w.jpg - Ram
    AGP Radeon 3650 Graphics card

Anyway what i'm really after is advice, is it possible/worth it to upgrade my CPU? Will i notice sufficient difference in the speed of my computer if i upgrade? My mobo is pretty old im guessing that might be a problem?

Is adding a new PSU hard? Obviously i'l have to add one since my tiny 250w won't be enough. Which should i get? Was thinking 350W? Also will i require a type of PSU to "fit" my mobo?

What i didn't want to do was buy a whole new PC since i don't really have the money. Any advice is welcome and if you need more infomation i'l post it. Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am guessing that board came out of a compaq. You would need to check their site as to what cpus the board will support. Even though it is made by msi, it is made to compaq's specs AND the bios is written to their specs. Whether it has the proper microcode to support a cpu upgrade is something you need to ask the system builder ie compaq.

FWIW big box builders have no vested interest in providing bios updates to run faster cpus. They would rather you bought a new system.

3. regeX

regeX Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the info. I google'd the CPU socket i have and there are a few other Intel processors with the same socket which are a little better than my current. I'l check whether an upgrade is possible or not. About the PSU, is it the same as a CPU upgrade? Will my board only support a certain type?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It should be a standard atx type pw supply. Unless you have some type of small form factor case, you should be able to install a standard pw supply.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I can't believe you've been running a Radeon 3650 with a 250 watt power supply. Or are you planning to add the 3650 now? For example Sapphire calls for a 450 watt PSU with 30 Amps on the 12 volt rail: http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=241

As for the the CPU upgrade, being an Intel 845GE chipset you are going to be limited to older Pentium 4's with a FSB of 533Mhz, the fastest possible processor you could theoretically run is the 3.06Ghz with HyperThreading, Northwood or Prescott(with 533MHz FSB and socket 478). But thats only if the BIOS supports them and you'll have to look at site like eBay to find these processors. No dual core for that system.

6. frankjohn

frankjohn

Why do you want to upgrade when you wont get any better results?

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I seriously doubt that board will support a dual core processor, it was manufactured before that processor was invented, dual core processors require a special voltage regulator on the motherboard, which that one won't have.

[​IMG]

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

As Triple6 stated the best processor you could use if your BIOS supported it would be a socket 478 3.06GHz. at 533MHz. FSB. This was the only socket 478 processor Intel built with a 533MHz. FSB that supported HyperThreading. This would give you some performance increase over the Celeron 330 now in the machine.

9. Compiler

Compiler

The board and technology is way too old. Even spending $50 on a P4 that fits that would be a waste of money.

On Price watch, there are some Socket 478 / 533Mhz Pentium4s for $35~75. But the P4 tech was alway sloooooow.
    Even todays $50 AMD and intel CPUs are faster than the $1000 Pentium4s from 4~5 years ago.

Any new tech will not be supporting AGP slots/cards. A new modern PSU is needed for modern motherboards.
    You can get a nice AMD dual core for as low as $50, a low-end motherboard for about $50, Ram is about $25 per GB.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Being mindful of what you stated in post #1, i.e. "What i didn't want to do was buy a whole new PC since i don't really have the money." the 1st thing that needs to be determined is; Will your BIOS support the Pentium 4 3.06GHz. with a 533MHz. FSB?

These processors are available, however since they were the only socket 478 Pentium 4 that supported HyperThreading with a 533MHz. FSB they always sold for a premium price. I would guess that today you could find one for about $50.

Finding a new power supply that would serve your needs is not near as hard. This power supply for $45 (after rebate) with free shipping would be just fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

Of course you can never make a "gamer" out of your machine, but you can improve performance.

If you post the EXACT make and model of the machine we can look and see if the manufacturer posts information on their website about supported processors.

11. regeX

regeX Thread Starter

My PC is a HP Pavilion a610.uk, I'v only checked the HP website/manuals briefly. Yeh im currently running the Radeon 3650 fine. I used a power calculator before i installed it obviously.. I know my motherboard is old and wont support a dual core. If im not going to notice a worthwhile difference when i upgrade then i guess il have to totally rebuild which is something i didn't want to do really.
    Thanks anyway

Iv been given one of these;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Q6600...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1270572654&sr=8-1-fkmr0
    Can anyone help me build a cheap system based around this. Probably used for gaming. As always any help/comments is appreciated.

12. Compiler

Compiler

You'll need the following:
    1 - Motherboard (P35 or P45 recommend) by gigabyte, ASUS, Biostar, MSI
    2 - DDR2 or DDR3 RAM ($50 for 2GB)
    3 - Power supply - quality unit 450~550w... Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, OCZ... disregard the rest.
    4 - Hardrive with SATA interface... new boards from intel don't really support PATA and you have limited connectors. Spending money for a PATA controller is a waste of $30... when you could put that towards a new drive.
    5 - Case - because of the limitations and connector issues of the HP case... (you may sell your old HP)
    6 - A new video PCIe video card... the cheapest recommend are the ATI 4670 or 5570 ($75USD) - you cannot use AGP on current or recent tech.

P45 boards are about $100USD (4 memory slots), the G43/41 boards (2 memory slots) are about $60USD.

So you're looking about $370USD for parts to support that CPU... Doesn't include a Windows7 disc.
    The value of the Q6600 is $100~125... its a good CPU, it used to be about $300+. Such a system with good parts should last you about 2~4 years. Upgrading the graphics card later to an ATI 6750 or so would be recommended.

You should get a new HD... a 500GB is the way to go. The difference in price between 250GB and 500GB is about $10USD.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice