1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU at 100% Task Manager Shows Nothing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Samsta, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Samsta

Samsta Thread Starter

For the last few days I've been running some CPU intensive programs which I wrote. My laptop was getting really hot (70+°C), so I decided to blow into the vent to clear the dust out. However all this did was clog the fan with dust and it stopped spinning, so I used a safety pin to hook the dust out. The fan started spinning and it blew a load of old dust out, and my laptop is now running in the low 40's.

However now task manager shows the CPU usage as 100%, but when I sort the processes by CPU time, nothing is using much of the processor, firefox sometimes jumps up to 50%, but it doesn't stay there for long.

Even when I boot into ubuntu, everything is still running really slowly.

Also, speedfan reports my CPU speed as 600mhz, sometimes it shows a few other values (1400, 1200, 1800 etc), I have two core2 duo 1.83 ghz processors, so I wasn't expecting to see 600mhz!

I don't think this is a virus, since it seems to be independent of the operating system, any ideas what could have happened?

2. Megabite

Megabite

There still might be dust still in there. and possible the fan may have got damaged and is not spinning as it should.

Also how many times did the CPU get that hot?

3. Samsta

Samsta Thread Starter

Quite a few times, I've had the safety mechanism kick in and shut down the laptop a few times. I try and keep it well ventilated but it always runs really hot.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Try this

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.19 setup, english on the right-hand side.
    ....take a reading when not running the game or programs CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

Then run the game or any other intensive program for awhile and take another reading post the results (screenshot of results )

Go Advanced in your post then Manage Attachments Browse and upload in your next post..

5. Samsta

Samsta Thread Starter

Thank you for the help so far :) The problem seems to have resolved itself, I booted into bios mode and checked everything was alright there, I booted back into windows and it's been working fine.

I will post back if it starts happening again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059824