1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU at 50% with svchost

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Guilherme S, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guilherme S

Guilherme S Thread Starter

Hi! Since I didn't find my answer anywhere else, I decided to try it here... You seem to solve pretty much things here :)

Problem description: When I startup my system, a process called "svchost.exe" (runned by some user called "LOCAL SERVICE" - so it's not from Windows) takes 50% of my CPUs memory, and it stays like that until I terminate it. However, when I terminate it, it will reopen itself - without taking those 50%. If things kept like that, I wouldn't mind. The thing is, except for Internet Explorer, Incredimail, Kazaa and some other applications that access the Internet, many applications crash when trying to access the Internet. One of those is the Windows Update Automated Client (wuauclt.exe), so I can't use WindowsUpdate not even from the website (Internet Explorer freezes).

Here's HijackThis! log:

What can I do? Thanks in advance!
    Guilherme Santos

2. hermes

hermes

Theres a lot of stuff on this log so it could be worth pasting them one after the other into google to see what they are all doing. Two things to note are that you have some spyware, xxxtoolbar looks like it may be.

Your crashing programs may be a result of having three AV products running, could you not uninstall two of them?

3. Guilherme S

Guilherme S Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. As for the AVs, I know I have several installed. Two of them - Avast! and ZoneAlarm (Computer Associates) - are working fine. However, I simply can't uninstall Norton... Everytime I startup, it gives me a ccApp.exe error: nº 1002,1 and 1003,1. I've checked Symantec support, but they just say to reinstall Norton (something that doens't work!). But I don't think the conflict may come from there, since I had ZoneAlarm and Norton (already damaged) previously installed and svchost was already taking my CPU. And I installed Avast! after the problem came up, so...

As for spyware, I've ran Ad-Aware SE and WebRoot SpySweeper. They both cleaned it up, so those must be little traces left...

I'll try analysing the log myself.

Once again, thanks for replying

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice