1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU at 60 degrees

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mowersman, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mowersman

mowersman Thread Starter

help
    is my cpu overheating
    it is a old 700 mhz celeron (copper mine core) and it is a 58/60 degrees permanently and that is only in the BIOS
    seeing as some of the new core duos run at half that temp im worried
    is this to hot and is there a prog that i can use to see my CPU temp when windows is running
    thanks

2. SB305

SB305

Hi mowersman. You got the RAM tamed then! (y)
    From what I can Google, that CPU's OK up to 80 degrees Centigrade. Personally, I 'd try to keep it down no higher than the mid 60s.
    Try Googling a free download of Everest Home - it'll give you loads of info on your rig. :)

3. Aussie_Dundee

Aussie_Dundee

Good advice.

My old cpu used to run at 87 degrees when playing games. and around 75 when idle (celcius) But i never had stability issues of crashes like blue screen etc... Its about what the CPU can tolerate. and its specs. a cpu running at 40 is ofc betetr than running at 80 but while some cpus can handle 80+ others will die at 70.

dont worry dude. otherwise McGyver a fan onto that cpu or try cleaning the thermal paste of using rubbing alcohol and repply a new batch. this can also make a 10 degree diffrence in many cases.

4. mowersman

mowersman Thread Starter

No this is another computer .just kinda a word processing computer
    but now after 10 secs of up time its at 80 degrees i think my motherboard sensors are wrong
    i turned it off unclipped the heat sink and it wasn't even warm
    when i get some thermal compound for my one with ram problems (it currently has a thermal pad) ill put some on the die of this one

5. SB305

SB305

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Google the CPU yourself and you'll probably find that it's OK from 80 to 85 degrees Centigrade. I quoted the hope of keeping it down to 65 degrees mainly because I build AMD rigs. (Did build a Celeron once! :D ) The Athlons and Durons of that era would have fried at around 65 degrees and I used to try to keep them below 55.

6. mowersman

mowersman Thread Starter

hi im writing this with my celeron computer and everest home is saying that it is only 32 degrees
    which one to belive
    thanks

7. SB305

SB305

Everest usually quotes 2 or 3 temperatures, dependent on what sensors it detects. Sometimes it's obvious that it's put the wrong labels against one or more of them. The temperature quoted in BIOS should be the more accurate.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice