1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU at 70+%, but Idle Proc is at 90+%

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smithron99, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithron99

smithron99 Thread Starter

OK, this one I've never seen. Generally, the machine seems to run fine. Everything seems normal, except Task Manager reports utilization at a consistent 70+%, even though its reporting System Idle Process to be consuming 90+%. I've shut down everything in the task tray, including Norton. Stopped any procs I could easily identify as safe. Outside of Idle Proc, nothing is consuming more than 2% CPU, and then its no more than one or two procs at any one time. Anyone ever seen this?!

MoBo: Asus A8V with Athlon X2 2800+
    2 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR400 RAM (recent upgrade)
    Win XP Media Centre 2005, with all published fixes

Help!

2. smithron99

Oops, sorry - that should be Athlon X2 4800+

3. smithron99

The first core consistently hovers around 60% and second core around 80%. I've used MSCONFIG and used the diagnostic startup and the symptom is still there. Dumbfounded. As a point of interest, while I was stripping back the startup (Startup items, then System Services, then WIN.INI, then everything) Windows started complaining that my HW set-up had changed significantly and I needed to re-activate Windows, which I did without incident.

4. smithron99

As a last resort, I pulled the new RAM and dropped the old stuff back in ( 1GB KingMax ), but still no joy :-(

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

6. smithron99

Frank4d, thanks. According to Process Explorer, the CPU consumption is attributable to hardware interrupts - which is sort of consistent with what I was seeing in Task Manager (i.e. the cycles were going to "something else"), but I have no idea where to go from here. When I picked the Threads tab, it popped a message sating I needed a version that interfaced to a symbol server and provided a link, but I dismissed the dialog and can't get it to recur.

7. smithron99

Found this item in the PRoc Exp FAQ: http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=965. Seems to be exactly my problem, tho not I/O related, and I verified IDE is at Ultra DMA, not PIO. Perhaps I knocked something loose when I installed the new RAM. I'll try re-seating things tomorrow.

8. smithron99

Re-seated cabling and replaced the wirelsss keyboard & mouse with wired. Removed the modem and the tuner card. Still no joy. Next I'll try un-plugging the card reader (current prime suspect as it failed not too long ago. Restored by un/re-plugging) and replacing the video card. After that, I'm back to stumped.

9. smithron99

OK. Back to stumped. Tried another video card, disconnected the card reader, swapped the two RAM sticks to the other two slots. Still no luck :-(

10. The Hound

The Hound

Have you physically removed all but one stick of ram, hdd, keyboard, and mouse (is onboard video an option?)

11. smithron99

Hello all. I read a few posts on the ASUS forum that got me suspicious of the BIOS. I had flashed it to the latest rev (0229) as part of trying to get the new memory going. Turns out this was the source of the problem. I have flashed back to the vesion I was running previously and all is well!

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Thanks for letting us know what fixed it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice