1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU battery replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bnelsontsg, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bnelsontsg

bnelsontsg Thread Starter

My sister's computer battery was going bad, so she went and replaced it herself. It's the simple, flat battery, just pop it out, put the new one in. She also bought a new DVD drive, so she unplugged the old one and took it out. That's all she did. And made sure she didn't shock/fry the motherboard.

Now, when you turn it on, it never boots up. It will run and the monitor will display a screen that shows that it's on, but Windows never loads. I tried putting the old DVD drive back in, the old battery back in, but it's still not working. Any ideas what might be causing this? I really don't want to tear it all apart at this point.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

When you pulled the cmos battery you reset the BIOs to its default settings and that's probably the problem. You need to boot into the BIOs and see whats going on. You should see a screen when you first turn the computer on telling you which key to press to get into the BIOs.

3. bnelsontsg

Well, that's part of the problem. I know how to get to the BIOS, but it's not getting that far. It runs (ie, fans are blowing, lights are flashing, the usual), but nothing displays on the monitor other than the monitors "default splash screen" (for lack of a better term).

4. doctapeppa

doctapeppa

If you reach your splash screen then your bios (basic input output system) has already loaded. If you are not sure hit del, f8 and f2, one at a time, a bunch of times as soon as you boot up. If those don't work try the other f's when you boot up. One of them will get you into your bios config screen.

5. norton850

norton850

When you say "monitor default splash screen" what actually does it say or show on the monitor? I'm guessing that you are not getting a signal to the monitor and you don't mean a system splash screen that says "DELL" or something like that. In that case I would wonder if your sister knocked something loose like RAM or the video card during the "repairs". Of course if my supposition is wrong then please ignore everything that I've said. :p

6. bnelsontsg

Yeah, she's got some off-brand monitor that comes up with a gray patterned design. Then after a few seconds, it will start the boot process, the Gateway logo, the BIOS options, etc. Sorry if I'm not making that clear. It's probably not relevant. The monitor works, but nothing is booting.The RAM and PSI cards are all fine. All the wires look too be in the right spot. I might end up having to completely dismatle it and start from scratch.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Try the easy things first.

Take out the CMOS battery and leave it out for 15 minutes (with the PC off at the wall). Then replace the battery and try again. Could just be the BIOS has some corrupt data that will be refreshed in this manner.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/363404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice