1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Bottleneck or other problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greatbigmouth, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatbigmouth

greatbigmouth Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I am disturbed by my low 3DMark 06 score. I have seen results on PCs with the same processor as mine, but MUCH better results.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    2GB 667 DDR2 RAM
    Inno3D GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3

3DMark scores are as follow:

SM2.0: 3381
    SM3.0: 3096
    CPU: 1564

All of my games have an annoying stutter, which I KNOW isn't the graphics card, as I had the same stutter with my previous GPU, an 8600GT. I have a friend who has the exact same CPU, but no stuttering. Something is not right here. Maybe a BIOS setting, etc? Please guys, I desperately need to play my games without this annoying stutter, or else I might just go mad. :mad:

2. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

- Update drivers (every component)
    - Internet connection? / P2P? Are you playing online, when this occurs?
    - Unwanted clutter on computer
    - Virus, Spyware ETC
    - Background processes
    - Interfering programs
    There are tonnes of factors that can cause this problem (over heating?).

Also - the 3DMark score will vary on every system since all components are different. They may have the same CPU but have a different mobo, ram, hell even the PSU lol., but hopefully you get the drift.
    What games are you playing, that CPU isnt the best.

3. greatbigmouth

greatbigmouth Thread Starter

Hi NeVeRReSt,

Thanks for the response.

To my knowledge, all of my drivers are up to date. I have the latest nForce, Forceware, etc installed.

My Internet is a 1Mb/s wireless connection, although I rarely play online, and the stutter occurs even when playing offline. I ran Registry Mechanic and CCleaner to clean up my system a bit, and also have Diskeeper running full-time in the background.

I've scanned with avast and SuperAntispyware, and they both have found no viruses or spyware. Strangely though, most of the stuttering happened after my first format since buying the PC at the store. Since then, I've been having trouble with performance, which lead me to believe that I may be missing some kind of update or BIOS setting.

My favorite games are The Witcher and Assassin's Creed. They both give me this annoying stutter, usually only when my character is running. When panning the camera around the screen, I experience no lag of any kind. I also play Oblivion: The Elder scrolls which is quite an old game and it too gives me a stutter.

As for temperature levels, the CPU idles at about 35'C and the Motherboard reaches a peak of 32'C. I don't think overheating is causing the problem.

Here are my full PC specs, if it'll help:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    ASUS M2NPV-MX
    2x1GB Samsung DDR2 667Mhz
    Inno3D GeForce 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    460W Gigabyte GE-R460-V1 PSU
    160GB SATA HDD @ 7200rpm

Thanks for your time,
    GBM

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice