1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU burnt out - why?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by njf, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. njf

njf Thread Starter

I bought a new AMD Duron 1.2Ghx processor and correct motherboard to support it.

After being told in the store that everything I wanted to buy was out of stock, and so as usual had to pay more than expected. By the time he told me I needed to spend another £15 ($20) on a fan I told him where to go!

As a result, my old fan wasn't strong enough and so the CPU has appeared to have burnt out.

What I need to know, is that is it usual for a CPU to burn out within seconds if it doesn't have sufficient coolent. I have now bought a new fan, and will buy a replacement CPU, but need to be sure it was the fan that caused it to die!

Please help!

NJF

2. Rockn

Rockn

Yes a newer CPU will die very quickly if there isn't proper cooling and seconds is not uncommon. Also get some thermal grease like Arctic Silver to put between the CPU's processor core and the heat sink to allow for better heat transfer. Guess he wasn't trying to scam you after all, that 15 pounds would have saved you quite a bit of money in the long run.

3. Endemix

Endemix Guest

For future reference I would use CPU Burn-In which will test your CPU's stability and verify data integrity and if the cpu starts doing soem nastly things from..oh let say overclocking it will let you know immediately.

4. njf

njf Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm off to buy another CPU! Fingers crossed. I will get some oil too....

N

5. slipe

slipe

Toms Hardware ran some tests with the heatsink completely removed on an Athlon processor and it self destructed very quickly. There has been considerable discussion on the builder’s boards on the subject and the general consensus is that the CPU will not self destruct if the fan fails as long as the heatsink is installed correctly with thermal compound. It doesn’t even necessarily have to be silver compound, although that is the best.

If the old fan was operating I would suspect that the heatsink was not seated properly or not the correct one for your processor.

6. Toddles18

Toddles18

Maybe you crushed the core when installing the heatsink. I know theres a risk of doing that with the AMD chips.

7. dsmith1984uk

dsmith1984uk

The other day i placed a AMD 2300+ athlon on a new motherboard and put a very small and old cooler fan on top of it not thinking it really matter.
    The CPU lastest all of 10 seconds. lol. just for reference guys

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!