1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU change in socket 939 & no post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lupette, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lupette

lupette Thread Starter

I had everything working well in my socket 939 AN8-SLI delux computer. I wanted to try and extend the lifetime of it so I purchased an Opteron 180 x2 online. When I installed it I got no post. The fans all come on and stay on with no system beeps. I have tried all of the suggestions here and on other sites but nothing. I currently have only 1 stick of RAM, the grahics card, and the cpu, plugged in. I have removed the battery, shorted the CMos, checked and rechecked all of the connections, reseated the cpu and the graphics card, and doubled checked that a 50 watt power supply is ample. Since none of this has worked, is it now safe to assume the chip is bad? I don't see any visible damage to it . . . all pins look straight and clean. Should I have flashed the bios prior to installiing the new cpu? Is there something else I am missing?
    :(

2. Megabite

Megabite

Could be a bad CPU or your board just doesn't like it

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you sure you only have a 50 watt power supply? If so then that would not be enough power. Also did you chack first that your motherboard would support an Opteron processor? I checked the Asus site and it doesn't list the opteron as a supported CPU for that mothrboard. Only SOcket 939 Athlon 64 and Athlon64 X2 processors.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Did they ever make a 50 Watt?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    the power supply in my AT machine is the same one I built it with in or around 1986 and it is a 100 watt.

6. lupette

lupette Thread Starter

Make that 500 watts!:eek:

7. Megabite

Megabite

500 Watts Sounds better........I can get 50 Watts by dragging my socket feet on the carpet!!

I would think that your board is not compatible

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Like I said Asus doesn't list the Opteron CPU as a supported CPU. So it may be that you have a good CPU that won't work on your board. When you say you bought the opteron online do you by chance mean Ebay? Or from a place that might honor a return?

9. lupette

lupette Thread Starter

It was on eBay . . . but I paid with Paypal so I am covered less the return shipping if it is DOA.

The chip is used by many overclockers in this mobo so it should be compatible. I couldn't find the page that listed cpu compatibility so I just figured if it worked for others it would work for me too!

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Then it may just be a DOA cpu, I am not an overclocker and have never used one of those motherboards so this is something I have not attempted.

11. lupette

lupette Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice