1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU/Chip fan fail

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TainTain, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TainTain

TainTain Thread Starter

when i start my computer, i will get two errors:

Warning: Your Computer CPU Fan Fail or speed too low
    Warning: Your Computer Chip Fan Fail or speed too low

it says i can simply turn it off, but my computer is running slower than usual so im assuming this is the cause, i have done scans for virus, spyware, vundo, and malware, so this is the only thing i can think could be the problem.

any help is greatly apreciated.

2. baladio

baladio

Well, have you checked inside the case to see if the CPU fan is too slow? If the CPU is actually slower (less MHz), it most likely is because it is overheating, and it's using its built-in mechanism to save itself by running slower, and therefore not as hot. Make sure the wire going from the CPU fan to the motherboard is plugged in securely, etc. It could be that the fan is getting worn out, and slowing down. If it's plugged into a fan controller, make sure the BIOS option to turn off fan detecting is enabled.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Open the case and give the system a good cleaning with a can of air [available at walmart, office supply store, etc] Now pw ON the system with the side cover still off. See if all fans in the system are turning.

Post back with results.

4. TainTain

TainTain Thread Starter

all the fans run, and i can go into BIOS and turn of the dectection, but ill clean it out with a can of air.

5. baladio

baladio

Only turn off the fan detection if the fan(s) are plugged into an external fan controller, like in the front of the case. But if the fans are plugged into the motherboard, I don't recommend turning off the detection. You may just need to replace the fan that is running slow, assuming it really is running slow. They are not expensive. You might be able to check the speeds of the fans in the BIOS, or by using a free program called Speedfan.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/821358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice