1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu chip upgrade, can I do it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by royandkris, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. royandkris

royandkris Thread Starter

I have a 5 year old IBM computer that I would like to upgrade it's CPU chip. I obtained the following information on my computer using the Belarc Advisor program.

Processor: P-3 600 MHz, 32 kbytes primary cache, 256 kbytes secondary cache.
    Computer Model No: IBM, Net Vista all in one, 2179750.
    System Board: MITAC LUXOR R01.
    Bus Clock: 133 MHz.
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc., PRKT59AUS.

I have searched IBM web sites looking for information. The only site that I
    found

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4JGQAM

implies that I can upgrade to a P-3 800, 866, 933 Mhz or 1.0 Ghz processor.
    However, I have gone to a few computer repair stores and everyone has told
    me to buy a new computer. They have all said that computer makers always install the fastest CPU chip that the system board can support.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcomed.

2. LukeW

LukeW

i say if you have the cash then go for a new system it will work out better and you wont need to upgrade again soon!

if not then go for the 1Ghz option if your low on funds!

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    why are you trying to upgrade? you may find that you need more memory rather then just a cpu upgrade.
    what OS do you have and what programs are you having problems with.
    if you want to run the latest games you may find the video card is the limitation.

let us know what you wanting to do with the PC and maybe we can advise.

specs on video and memory and OS would be helpful.

you may find it cheaper to replace - or if you have the skills build your own.

4. WarC

WarC

The part about system builders always using the fastest CPU is bull. If you have discovered from IBM themselves that your board will support a higher CPU, it will.

As said, RAM is always good. You're probably running on SD-RAM, correct? So more more more is better!

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

I would decide how much you are willing to spend and tell us. THEN a direction in what to do for the best results for the money can be determined. A little, a lot..... we don't care. Post what you have to spend along with the other info requested previously please....................

6. royandkris

etaf:

I am running windows xp home edition. I have 512 Mbytes of memory. The computer is used for email, web searching and some excel spread sheets. For these operations the computer runs at a OK speed. However, when I do scans (disk defrag and spyware checks) it takes a long time. In addition, I am learning how to perform various hardware changes to my computer. If the cost of a faster cpu is around $100 or less and if the cpu will decrease the scan times, I would upgrade the cpu. I really just need to know if this computer can be upgraded with a faster cpu.

7. pronute

pronute

yes it can be upgrade, however disk scans and defrag is not going to be effected with a processor ugrade. That all depends on hard disk volume and speed. For example an 80GB ATA133 @ 7200 RPMs will scan faster then a 80GB ATA33 @ 5400 RPMs, and a 20GB ATA33 will scan faster then a 60GB ATA33 drive. you can get a faster drive however your motherboard only supports ATA 66 so if you get an ATA133 hard drive then all you have to do is get a PCI IDE ATA 133 controller card.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd SERIOUSLY consider a new system. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and that's what you're trying to do upgrading a five year old computer.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have XP pro - I dont think th efollowing is any different on XP home.
    do some analysis on the performance of the PC and then you will know if the change will make any real difference - otherwise you may be disappointed

so
    ctrl alt del
    perfomance tab

and see what memory / cpu usage you are getting.
    i'm running a norton virus scan on my laptop right now 1.8Ghz & its only using between 20 & 50% CPU.

i'm running an avg scan on my win 2k AMD 1700 so i think thats a 1,4G PC and its using between 8 - 30% cpu usage
    i have also started running ad-aware and avg together - the cpu peaked to 100% for about 5 seconds and is now working at between 10 and 60%
    so changing my CP would not have any impact,
    now you have a 600 MHZ have a look and see what happens to cpu usage on some scans

also have a look at the startup programs - >run > msconfig startup tab - see if you have loads of resources used up with background programs.

but if you have $100 going spare - your call - my advice depending on your results would be to save towards a better PC - and run defrag/scans when you dont need to use the PC and just leave it running when it does not matter if it takes 1 hour or three.

if you are learning to play with hardware then building a new system may be a lot of fun.
    i dont know about the prices in the states but you could probably get an OK PC self build for about £200 here - i think the stats is a lot cheaper.

have a search through these threads and you will see lots of advice on self build and maybe some stores to buy the stuff from

10. saikee

saikee

royandkris,

The obvious option, to me anyway in term of cost, is to get a bigger hard disk. Pronute is right that you will need a controller as well because at the era of 600MHz cpu the hard disks probably ran at 66Mb/s and you will be lucky to have anything bigger than 6Gb in your machine.

Nowaday the hard disk off the self will be at least 100Mb/s if not 133Mb/s (ATA133). Newer standard Serial ATA (SATA) is flooding the market with 150mb/s units. The faster ATA hard disks, which use the same IDE end pin-connection except the ribbon cable has more number of wires, can be run on the older board with a devoted controller card. You may want to go upmarket for a SATA disk too (only marginaly more expensive than ATA now) but it is a software driven like a SCSI disk and may not be suitable for you because of its different behaviour from the standard setting up. SATA is supported by XP but you do need a driver supplied either by the motherboard or the devoted controller. A 200Gb hard disk nowsaday is no more expensive than a 6Gb unit you bought 5 years ago. With, say even 60 Gb you will have no need to defrag the unit possibly for years according to your usage. Hard disk price in UK is approximately 2Gb for £1. American hardware normally sold for the same except the £ is replaced by the $ sign so it should be cheaper in the state. I just bought a 200Gb ATA133 myself yesterday for £93 because I have used up two 200 SATA to build a RAID system at home.

The hard disk option is attractive because it can be still usable in 5 years time. Also you can now put the same hard disk externally in an enclosure and connect it to any computer via a USB link (experience from a user with 5 or 6 old units in the drawer and running 4 PCs). XP does not need a driver to pick up an external hard disk.

That said I have to agree with the majority here that to get a new machine is the right move because the PC technology has moved quite a bit in the last 5 years. The motherboard, CPU, memoray, hard disk, video card, display unit, wireless communication, audio and even the metal box have changed for the better in that period.

11. royandkris

etaf and others:

First thanks to all of you for your ideas and advice. Within one hour after I posted my questions I received 4 to 5 responses....what a great forum.

I did perform some cpu measurements running 5 different programs. Below are the numbers.

Task manager only: avg %cpu = 2%
    Task manager and Disk Defrag: avg %cpu = 80%
    Task manager and Norton AV 2004: avg %cpu = 75%
    Task manager and Ad-aware: avg %cpu = 99%
    Task manager and Spybot S&D 1.3: avg %cpu = 99%

Additional information on my computer is that I have a 40G seagate
    disk model number st340014a (I believe it's at 7200 rpms).

I agree with everyone's comments that the best move is to buy a new computer. But I really enjoy taking things apart, changing or fixing some part and putting the product back together. It's more fun to me than buying a new product (computer).

So, if I move ahead and decide to buy a new cpu chip I would really like to have some ideas/thoughts on the follwing 2 questions.

- can someone recommend a good web site to purchase cpu chips?

- there seems to be a number of different P-3 cpu chips on the market. how can I go about finding out the exact parameters that I need for my computer. when I go to the IBM site they just say P3 running with a fsb at 133Mhz.

12. brite750

brite750

Replacing your cpu wouldn't be a totally bad idea in your case, running just internet, excel, etc., you would be almost doubling your basic cpu speed. That would not translate to everything running twice as fast but you should notice an increase. 512 is good for ram, your hdd is good, for what your looking for your probably alright, $100 for a 1ghz though, boy that sounds like alot, I was looking at upgrading a Athlon 750t-bird to a 1.33ghz, it was only like $40, see AMD is better than Intel, oh no not that issue again. Seriously though I hate to get rid of stuff that still works when it suits the purpose. Good luck, and definately build your own next time, if you like tinkering with pc stuff, oh that wonderful smell of pc boards, you will enjoy building your own, it's cheaper, it's pretty easy, I did it and I'm an idiot, and you get exactly what you want.

13. saikee

saikee

royandkris,

I suspect that you are afraid of changing and want to stick to as much to the old as possible.

There is no need to stick to the box or the motherboard. The latter will free you to select any hardware. The only thing you need to keep is the data and think of everything replaceable.

As an example the cheapest Pentium CPU I find from a site is £54 for a 2GHz Celeron. The same money can buy you a Athlon 2400. For £57 you can get a Pentium mobo with FSB 800. The box itself with 350Watt power supply starts at £27.

Thus sticking with the old box or old mobo isn't really a good idea and you may even have difficulty to find a new CPU, ram, video card that would fit it.

I am afraid the age of consumer electronic has arrived at door of the computer world.

14. pronute

pronute

15. bobell

bobell

The NetVista X40i is a good machine. My favorite for a very cluttered workspace.

Ibm used 2 different mother boards in the 2179 machines. I believe the -750 used the older MB and it could only auto-select 66 and 100 FSB. Belarc's reported 133 FSB doesn't sound right.

Since the MB has no jumper blocks, you must rely on tables in the BIOS. You might get your machine to accept a P3-800E, but that's all. I tried a P3-850E in mine, no luck, not recognised.

If you do get it to accept an 800 MHz CPU, install a temperature monitor. You might need IBM's other heatsink and fan, not much else will fit in the available space.

On the the other hand, if you have the newer MB, go for it! Add cooling.

Installing a 7200RPM hard drive will definitely make a difference.

If you haven't done it already, the CD can be replaced with a CD-RW. Sony CRX700E works good as a direct drop-in replacement.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/239664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice