1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU choice ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bxmag, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bxmag

bxmag Thread Starter

I officially gave up on reviving that socket 7 machine for right now.

Moving on to create a new machine to be used a research and homework tool, music download, online gamer now and then, chatrooms, IM's ----> you know the average teenager applications.

Nice price in newspaper for

HP 900Mhz celeron, 128mb SDRAM, 30G hard drive, 48X cd, v.90modem, 15" monitor and printer

for the same money I can build

1.4G AMD thunderbird, Shuttle AK31DDR motherboard, 512 DDR memory, TnT2 32mb video card -------------- but no monitor or printer. I already have the hard drive and cdrom.

Is the difference between these two processors that much?

And if you were building a third machine on the network( P4-1.5G and 1.0G Tbird) which route would you chose and why?

Thanks
    Danny

2. BEL6772

BEL6772

Seems to me that the apps you're using won't see much difference in CPUs. According to the review sites, the thing that will make the most difference to high res, high color apps is the video card. Any CPU can run office and internet apps faster than you can type. Most new CPUs can run faster than the video cards can put images on your screen. Personally, I'd recommend getting a good video card first, then spending the rest of your budget on the fastest processor you can afford.

As far as AMD vs Intel, everyone has different opinions on that. Both companies make good processors that offer stable, fast computing. AMD seems to have the advantage in terms of price/performance ratio, but AMDs must have a good thermal solution ... they're easy to let the "magic smoke" out of:)

I'm not aware of any networking issues that would favor one brand of CPU over the other.

If given a choice between building my own system and buying one, I always will choose to build my own. The advantage of buying pre-made systems is the warranty and software package you get. The disadvantage is that they're customized (proprietary in some cases) and harder to tweak/upgrade. The advantage to building your own is that you control the quality of ALL the parts you build your 'puter with. If you're careful with what you get, you won't need a warranty anyway. Plus, if you build it, you can tweak/upgrade it easier.

Happy shopping!

Brian

3. brianF

brianF

The amd is a lot faster, take the tnt2 out and replace with a gforce3 ti200(cheaper than the ti500) and it would be a nice machine, heard the vid cards are going on sale at best buy 99.99 after rebate

4. deuce

deuce

If you are confortable with building, than I would definately build. There is no real reason in paying the extra money to get a prebuilt name brand unless you don't want to build. (in my opinion) Building is much cheaper and like it has been mentioned, when building you can control the quality of all the parts, you get exactly what you want, and you don't waste money on stuff you don't want. Just make sure if you go AMD you have a good cooling solution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!