Cpu continiously overheating

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dibbell

Hey, ive just built a new pc and my i7-7740x is overheating, it beeing coolde by a nzxt x52 kraken watercooling kit, on which i applied custom cooling paste, the thermal grizzly condoctunaut. When i press the power button and go to the bios the temp monitor shows that the temp is rising, on 90C it stops and i feel like, the water cooling pump stops working aswell,

Thanks, Jan

First re-seat the CPU and the cooling plate. Maybe the cooling plate is not touching the CPU. Then if it doesn't work return the cooling kit for a new one.

crjdriver

Are you sure the water pump/block is fitting correctly on the cpu? If you are not absolutely sure, pull it OFF and check the pattern of the thermal paste. If you find paste on one side and not the other, the block is not fitting flush with the cpu.

Next that particular AIO cooler has pretty poor reviews on newegg. While newegg reviews must often be taken with a grain of salt, almost all reviews state the pump failed and or poor quality of the pump/system.
Other common errors with water cooling;
1 Plugging the pump into a fan header rather than a header designed for a water pump. Some boards have a fan header designated for water cooling; others you can config one of the headers for either a fan or pump.
2 Not running the pump at full speed. Most [if not all] pumps are designed to run at full rated speed.
3 The already mentioned problem of the pump/block not fitting correctly. With water cooling, you have to do the final install with the board mounted in the case however you should test fit everything with the board out of the case to be sure the pump/block fits correctly. Once you are sure, then install the board in the case, install the radiator, apply compound and do the final install of the pump/block.

Last edited:

crjdriver

FWIW I am NOT a fan of water cooling [even though one of my personal systems has a water cooler] IMO water cooling is a leak waiting to happen. In fact the one system with water cooling is going to get a new motherboard and a coolermaster 212 cooler in place of the water cooling.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online