1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU cooler for OC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbgarnett, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hello,

I am thinking about doing an overclock on my build

CPU/GPU AMD A83870K APU with Radeon 6550HD GPU

CPU Cooler Stock AMD Cooler

Mobo Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H (Bios F5)

Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

PSU OCZ ModXstream Pro 700W

Anyways I am almost certain that a Stock cooler will not work for Overclocking and was looking for some good suggestions for an after market cooler. I have one in mind but was just looking for some other opinions on weather the one I am looking at is a good choice or not. I am looking at the Cooler Master Hyper TX3

Also too I understand that every situation is different but has anyone on here overclocked an APU build or even a 3870K and did you see any noticeable results.

Thanks,

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would really go with a coolermaster 212 series. It costs a few $ more however it has 4 heatpipes rather than 3, moves more air, and has a larger fan.
    I have two of these coolers; one on an overclocked 2500k and the other on an overclocked fx8350. Both run in the high 20s to low 30s under normal load and up to 55C or so when running prime95.

Note do measure your case since these coolers are quite large AND they are not the easiest things to install however their performance is excellent.

3. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your link goes to the original cooler you selected; not a 212. Do understand that just about any high performance cooler requires the removal of the mb to install the backplate. In addition, you must measure your case to be sure it will fit.

Test fit everything prior to applying thermal compound. As I said these are not the easiest things to install however their performance is worth the effort.

5. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

ok well then if I have to remove my Mobo anyways I might as well get a new case too as I am using a case I had from a P4 build so I might as well just look at some cases in under 100 dollar range with decent/good cable management.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice